OST: Valentines Day, 2006

We preempt Old School Wednesday this week for the special occasion known as Valentines Day, in a more comprehensive mix:

Old School Tuesday : Valentines Day 2006.

01 – Alexander O’Neal – Do You Wanna Like I Do
02 – Quincy Jones featuring Patti Austin – Somethin’ Special
03 – Loose Ends – Sweetest Pain
04 – Atlantic Starr – Send for Me
05 – Switch – I Wanna Be Closer
06 – Stevie Wonder – Ribbon in the Sky
07 – Heatwave – The Star of The Story
08 – Donny Hathaway & Roberta Flack – You Are My Heaven
09 – Jermaine Jackson – You Like Me Don’t You (Single Version)
10 – One Way – Lady You Are
23 – Player – Baby Come Back
24 – The Art of Noise – Moments in Love
25 – The Time – Gigolos Get Lonely Too
26 – Bootsy Collins – I’d Rather Be With You
27 – Prince – Adore
28 – Isley Brothers – Atlantis

I wanted to give a little of the old school staples, like Deniece Williams’s classic Free, and Heatwave’s Star Of The Story, one of my personal top 5 all-time classics. But I thought it be essential to pull out some of blue-eyed soul, like Player’s Baby Come Back or some cuts that were played way back in the day, like Phoebe Snow’s Poetry Man. Also, there is no way I could possibly forget my cassette tapes and 12 inch songs that I’ve bought at least 3 copies of, like Moments In Love and Gigolos Get Lonely Too, essentials for the cool dudes from around the way.

I consider myself one of "least romantic" people out there, as I told my homeslice PhillyKat better known as The Romantical Chick. She gave me that push that I needed. Enjoy it. Hey, and if Valentines Day isn’t your bag, you could always do something like let EJ know what you think about him (snatched from George and Hopluv.) Don’t be shy.

Happy Valentines Day to you and yours!

22 comments on “OST: Valentines Day, 2006

1. MoniMoni says:

It’s 7:57am and I am groovin…I had to skip to the Time’s “Gigolos get Lonely Too”! Oh, you took me back. Can you see a 13/14 year old signing this? Like I knew what I was signing! I cracked myself up this morning!
    I’m going to have to be late today, I have to play Gino Vannelli and Player. I’ll hit you later. Good Morning Everyone! Happy Valentine’s Day! 🙂

2. MoniMoni says:

I meant to say, like I knew what I was singing! That’s what happens when you are singing and typing at the same time! LOL!!!

3. EJ Flavors says:

Now, am I the only one who likes Gigolos Get Lonely Too?

4. Len says:

You sure know how to start a Valentine’s Day off. 🙂 Thanks for the music!

5. Wil says:

Thanks for the music. You are really a true romantic, good to see that we are out there – Happy Valentin’s Day!!

6. MrMyke says:

Wow! EJ! ‘Star Of The Story – Heatwave’ My All Time Fav! Thanks! I Needed This!!!

7. nastybastard says:

Thanks for the mix, Ej. 🙂 Haven’t heard that Sade song in a while. One of my favorites.

8. NinaMM says:

Many a day, has gone by
    I say to myself
    Gotta let her know she’s mine…
    — Switch
    Philip Ingram used to KILL me on I Wanna Be Closer.
    Star of A Story is so simple, it’s luscious. But all the ballads on Too Hot to Handle are such…not overproduced, with Johnnie’s effortless falsetto just kissing the track. Ummm.
    This playlist was yummy, EJ. I ::heart:: you right now. 😉

9. EJ Flavors says:

@Len: Thanks again! This was really appreciated.
    @Myke: That’s my favorite cut too. I really think I played that track to death.
    @Nastybastard: man, where have you been? That’s one of my favorites, too.
    @NinaMM: All of the ballads on Too Hot To Handle are simply classics. The group had so much promise, I just wish they would have been out there more.

10. Berry says:

This playlist is where it is at!

11. PhillyKat says:

the romantical chick you had file uplg for a bit! you know what’s sad, i keep replaying star of a story and i sent u the damn file. tha hell is wrong with me? don’t answer that, lol.

12. PhillyKat says:

by the by, i don’t remember thanking you for putting “someone like you” by van morrison, 1 of my top 5 favorite songs of all time, in there.

13. chica says:

EJ, I like “Gigolos Get Lonely Too”! But I like The Time. Thanks for the Alex O’Neal and The Art of Noise!

14. Todd Kelley says:

it’s been a while since i been in here! What’s goin’ on?
    Ribbon in the sky is the LOVE in music form… period.
    One Way!!!! Whew… brought that one out your back pocket!!!
    Ah, i remember when Jermaine was relevant…
    “I want to be freeee… freeeee…. FREEEEEEE!!!!”
    Close that baby with Voyage To Atlantis. Classic Set, my man!!! Classic!

15. Nikki says:

This is probably the best radio blog I’ve seen in a long time. And you have Enchantment on there too? Much props for that! I’m like the one woman Enchantment fan club.

16. Thierno says:

HI, EJ. How do u do it, man? OK, fine… keep your secrets (LOL). Xcellent set! I wish Jermaine Jackson would record again. Peace

17. * beep beep beep *
    late for the val day party. the grooves are phat and the dj’s got us all on lock.
    good looking out ej

18. Allison says:

I just got turned on to this site a few weeks ago. It’s great!! So many of these songs bring back memories of my roller skating days . . . .

19. Yolanda says:

It’s day 2 and I’m still nodding to this. Thanks again for making my day, Music Man. 😉

20. lis says:

con
    tra
    ry to rumor
    giggalo’s
    get lonly too
    THAT’S THE JAM EJ!

21. Qamar says:

Wonderful, wonderful set!
    “Gigolos” is classic. Also love the Jermaine and Anita tracks.

22. Morena says:

Enchantment is one of my faves, and this song is regularly played on WHUR in DC. Just listening to it takes me back….memories, whew!
    I think I’ll try that Johari Window on mis amigos. That’ll be a riot LOLOLOL