OSW: New Jack Swing, Volume 7

I get by with a lil’ help from my friends. Seventh time’s the charm:

Old School Wednesday: Swing, Volume 7

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]
Want to subscribe to podcasts? Use this link.

01 – Basic Black – Nothing But A Party
02 – Alyson Williams – Sleep Talk
03 – Monie Love – Work It Out
04 – Jane Child f Teddy Riley – Don’t Wanna Fall In Love
05 – Al B. Sure! – Channel J
06 – Newkirk – I Desire
07 – Today – You Stood Me Up
08 – Chris Bender – I Knew
09 – Guy – You Can Call Me Crazy
10 – Big Bub – I Don’t Mind
11 – Damian Dame – Exclusivity
12 – Father MC – Treat Them Like They Want To Be Treated

After pulling out six new jack swing blends, it was nearly impossible to come up with a seventh one. I almost scrapped it, but thanks to some good help, I was able to pull it off.

Basic Black’s Ain’t Nothin But A Party along with Alyson Williams’s Sleep Talk, with an interjection with Oran "Juice" Jones, kicks this off with a bang. Those two are followed up by Monie Love’s Work It Out and Jane Child’s Don’t Wanna Fall In Love, remixed by the one and only Teddy Riley. From his album Private Times and The Whole 9,
I had to pull out Al B. Sure’s Channel J, with rap by Chubb Rock. Next is Newkirk’s I Desire from the album Funk City, which I came across last month and almost lost my mind. Today’s You Stood Me Up is followed up by another track I hadn’t heard in a while, Chris Bender’s I Know. Guy’s You Can Call Me Crazy (with vocals buy Timmy Gatling) is followed up by Big Bub’s I Don’t Mind.

Cooling it out, I had to roll in Damian Dame’s Exclusivity and end with Father MC’s Treat Em Like They Wanna Be Treated. Shoutouts go KB for kickin’ it strong with the Basic Black, Father MC, and the Today suggestions as well as the one and only Chris Bender track, Macedonia for his absolute greatness for the Alyson Williams track, and Janicke Jam for again giving me the energy I needed.
Got requests? Send an email to ejflavors at gmail dot com. For those who’d like to subscribe to these podcasts, enter this link manually into iTunes. Also, please be sure to check out on Flowink.com always keeping you in the loop. Take it light.

Click above to play, or right click, then choose "save as" to download.

10 Responses “OSW: New Jack Swing, Volume 7”

1. james madison
    3 September 2008 at 01:01

Nice selections! Guy’s “You Can Call Me Crazy” is the jam!
    Let me know when you’re in Nueva York, Man!
    Pce.

2. james madison
    3 September 2008 at 01:07

Jane Child –
    I remember this. I actually have the 12 inch vinyl some where.
    The lyrics..’You make the knife feel good!” Am I correct in hearing this?
    Whoa!! Hot stuff regardless tho’!
    Always loved the track!

3. 3 September 2008 at 09:35

I don’t think I ever heard Al B Sure’s Channel J…ever! and this is why you are the sensei!
    Great mix!

4. 3 September 2008 at 13:30

damn EJ. how do you remember all these songs?
    the Jane Child is definitely this week’s winner. i gotta go track that down now.

5. G-Fresh
    3 September 2008 at 14:16

gwen is right….. Jane Child is the jumpoff this week good list

6. 3 September 2008 at 18:28

Oh, this is going to be good. I’m already singing “You can call me crazy” before even hearing this. Not sure if I remember the Jane Child, I’m peeping for it.

7. 4 September 2008 at 14:52

Wow, I haven’t heard Timmy Gatling’s name in a minute.

8. ms. alex
    5 September 2008 at 14:11

~ Yeah..me too, Roddykat. Started singin ‘Crazy’ as soon as I saw it listed. Love u E!!!

9. 5 September 2008 at 15:30

OMG! JANE CHILD!
    I was talking her up a storm a few months ago! What EVER happened to her?!?! I even went out and had to buy her album because I only had that single on CASSETTE which is busted?! (Old media WOES!) Also, I am digging the entire set list [as always!]
    I adore Al B Sure and I was discussing on twitter with a young lady how he did his own rendition of, Hotel California, and she was unfamiliar! Remember his second album which basically it appears that not many people are familiar with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Times…and_the_Whole_9!
    I even adored his duet with Diana Ross, “No Matter What You Do, I Still Love You.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3iwYxxne44
    Thank you for sharing as always! EJFLAVORS! 8)
    [TheJennTaFur here — why is my name not showing up?!?! — waah!]

10. Moni
    5 September 2008 at 17:26

Hey EJ!
    Long time no speak..but I subscribe to your podcast so I’m always grooving..
    Anyhoo, no you did not pull up an Al. B. Sure track that I have never heard. Like TheJennTaFur, I loved Al’s version of “Hotel California”. Private Times LP was the bizness!
    And Jane Child! I never remembered her name, but I remembered her song! Thanks for that add. And of course Damian Dane’s “Exclusivity”. That was my jam. I was so upset to learn that the two artists of that group passed on. Thanks for the memory! :)