OSW: The X Mix

I was in Austin, Texas this past weekend enjoying all that is SXSW, and I will be next there next year, be sure of that. Shoutouts go to all of the SXSW people I had a chance to hang with- there’s absolutely way too many to mention. Since I’ll be recuperating for the next week, or so, I had Xquizzyt1 fill in for me. So, for now, I present:

Old School Wednesday: The X Mix

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]
Want to subscribe to podcasts? Use this link.

01-Sylvia Striplin – Give Me Your Love
02-Sharon Redd – Can You Handle It
03-Narada Michael Walden – I Shoulda Loved Ya
04-Skipworth & Turner – Thinking About Your Love
05-Fonda Rae – Over Like A Fat Rat
06-Jeanette Lady Day – Come Let Me Love You
07-The Strikers – Body Music
08-Unlimited Touch – Searching To Find The One
09-Young & Company – I Like What You’re Doing To Me
10-D Train – Keep On
11-Wish feat. Fonda Rae – Touch Me (All Night Long)
12-Man Parrish – Hip Hop Be Bop
13-Xena – On The Up Side
14-Howard Johnson – So Fine
15-Imagination – Just An Illusion
16-Nick Straker Band – A Little Bit of Jazz
17-Third World – Try Jah Love

I must admit, I have never heard the Xena track, so it’s always good to have little surprises here and there. No vocals on this mix, as there wasn’t enough time to incorporate them in town- look for them on the next OSW and the upcoming In Rotation. Much props to Xquizzyt1 for this mix. For those who’d like to subscribe to these podcasts, enter this link manually into iTunes. If you have requests or questions, send an email to ejflavors [@] gmail [.] com. Take it light!

7 Responses “OSW: The X Mix”

1. james madison
    12 March 2008 at 01:13

Man, I’m going to be rockin’ this OSW for a bit!
    Kudos to you and Karen. I remember that Xena track. Brings me back to 5th grade. It was a delight to find out one of the most underrated songtress Lisa Fisher was the voice behind the vocals. Same goes for Melisa Morgan on Unlimited Touch.
    Young and Company, the great Sharon Redd, Skipworth and Turner…ya’ll freaked it with Jeanette Lady Day! WHAT?!?!
    Man Parrish, Howard J. Fonda..So many good memories here. You guys did your thing!
    I remember my Grandparent/Family rocking out to Soul Train with some of these cuts. Best times of my life.
    I can’t say enough about this one and I’m afraid I would write a book.
    Lovin’ this lil corner of the web!
    Thanks ya’ll!

2. james madison
    12 March 2008 at 01:49

Oops. I think I’m wrong on Unlimited Touch. Melisa was with Shades Of Love.

3. Mike A BTHS1981
    12 March 2008 at 08:31

Great mix! Takes me back to growing up in Brooklyn,NY and when KISS-FM was the main station for the R&B and Club jams.
    Thanks for making “hump day” bearable!

4. G-Fresh
    12 March 2008 at 11:00

I haven’t even listened to it yet but just looking at the playlist I KNOW this is sick!!!Jeanette Lady Day!! and Sylvia Striplin CRAZY!!!

5. Thierno
    12 March 2008 at 11:20

Great list, Xquizzyt1, though I am only familiar with just a handful of these songs. Yo, EJ, dangerous move for job security, as Xquizzyt1 took it up a notch this week… hahaha. Kidding! You’reirreplaceable, of course.
    Peace to all.

6. 12 March 2008 at 14:31

Yo … yo, X. How you feel? You aiiight? Let me tell you, I loved the way you started it off … with one of my favorite artists, Sylvia Striplin. Nobody screams like her. Jeanette “Lady” Day, The Strikers (who I worked with back in the 80s … word!), Howard Johnson … and then to end it with Third World. I gotta admit, when I saw it on the list, I was like, ion know about that. But let me tell you … You worked it out, yo!
    YEAH, X ROCKED THE OSW THIS WEEK!

7. Xquizzyt1
    12 March 2008 at 14:44

I love Mike A BTHS1981 for saying it reminded him of growing up in Brooklyn with KissFM because that is EXACTLY what my inspiration was. I even said to someone, “I don’t know if these songs are too ‘New York’ and regional because they were the songs I knew from growing up in the Bronx, listening to KissFM.” LOL Exactly. Having a Kiss Card and going skating on weekends at the Skate Key, all that! =)
    I’m sorry to the people that couldn’t relate to this list, I didn’t mean to exclude anyone from enjoying OSW, that wasn’t my intention!
    As for Randy? ROFLMAO You forgot to say, “That was HOT!!!” LOL And how dare you of all people doubt me Randy (I’m so mad at the name-dropping and everything! LOL) we go waaaaaaaaaaay back!!!