OSW: Tony Thompson

Earlier this week, Beats and Rants posted that Tony Thompson, the lead singer of Hi-Five, had passed away. This OSW remembers him.

Old School Wednesday: Tony Thompson.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Hi-Five – I Like The Way (The Kissing Game)
02 – Hi-Five – She’s Playing Hard To Get
03 – Tony Thompson – I Wanna Love Like That
04 – Tony Thompson – I Know
05 – Tony Thompson – My Cherie Amour
06 – Tony Thompson – Sweat
07 – Hi-Five – Unconditional Love
08 – Hi-Five – Quality Time
09 – Tony Thompson – Come Over
10 – Hi-Five – She Said
11 – Hi-Five – I Can’t Wait Another Minute
12 – Hi-Five – Fly Away
13 – Tony Thompson – Dance With Me
14 – Hi-Five – Never Should’ve Let You Go

As I listened through the discography of Hi-Five and Tony Thompson, I realized how much I missed the songs like Quality Time, I Wanna Love Like That and Fly Away.
What I had totally not realized were songs written by Babyface (Dance With Me), songs written by Mary J. Blige and Faith (I Know), oldies he complimented (the awesome remake of My Cherie Amour). Tony was a great vocalist and he will be missed. Special thanks to Trent for his tribute to this man. Definitely on point.

Two more podcasts will be posted here in the next 24 hours. Watch for them. Until then, take it light.

NOTE: If you submitted your comment, it’s definitely here, but may not show up due to some software errors. I’m working to get this fixed. Thanks for your patience and THANKS for leaving a comment. Much love.

11 Responses “OSW: Tony Thompson”

1. james madison
    6 June 2007 at 02:35

Great tribute EJ. A great way to pay homage to those who have passed. I Like The Way and Unconditional Love. Wonderful Music.
    Thanks for the music Tony T. God Bless.
    Let me also give respect to another artist Curtis Hairston who sang on The BB And Q Band’s albums and had his own solo career with the hit song “I Want You (All Tonight).” I recently found out he had passed back in 1996. I also did not know that Luther Vandross had sung as back up on his recordings. This was a time I did not pay too much attention to all the credits.
    Music, arts..it’s all a gift and blessing. We should all be honored
    to have heard these artist’ music and if we haven’t heard it, appreciate what we have heard and the opportunity to being introduced to it. I know I am.
    God Bless the Artists and all you here on EJ Flavors.
    Pce.

2. 6 June 2007 at 09:25

EJ: While it’s never a pleasant situation when one of our music artists passes away (especially at such a young age), I must commend you on the “tribute” mixes that you produce when one of these situations inevitably occurs. You always seem to be able to capture the essence of the person and remind us of the legacy of music they have left behind. Job (as usual) well done!

3. 6 June 2007 at 09:36

Wow, that is some really sad news, and so young. I remember this group as if they were out yesterday. First it was my boy Kenny from Intro who passed quite a few years ago, now Tony Thompson.
    I want to send my condolences to his family and friends. Thanks EJ for putting this together.

4. Thierno
    6 June 2007 at 09:41

EJ, this is a great tribute. This OSW truly demonstrates how unfortunate it is when a life is cut too short. Such a promising talent. I’m glad he left us a few good tunes to remember him by. RIP.
    Cheers

5. 6 June 2007 at 14:51

Que pasa, EJ? Just passing through for my OSW fix. It’s been a while….
    I like Hi-Five, too….and had forgotten about much of the music they came with. Thanks for posting this remembrance.

6. Qamar
    7 June 2007 at 03:31

Wow… this is really sad.
    His remake of “My Cherie Amour” deserved a wider audience. It still sounds terrific.
    “I Like the Way (The Kissing Game)” always reminds me of being a teenager and in love for the first time. It captures the innocence, excitement, and mystery of that first love. That song always stirs great memories and feelings.
    Excellent tribute to an underrated singer.

7. 9 June 2007 at 17:27

Thank you for you tribute and thank you for this website! I came across you by accident but now you are in My Favorites. There was one mix you did with IOU, Beat Box and Man Parrish, Latoya, Dear Yvette and Sally that had folks jumping in three states! I forwarded it to all my friends in the old skool (old folks) set
    Thanks again!

8. Heather
    9 June 2007 at 21:25

Thanks for the memories Sweet Heart. Tony has a unique voice like no other. Can you compare his voice to anyone else? I bet you can’t. You will be missed but not forgotten. One of Hi-five’s number 1 fans straight out of Canada. RIP Tony(I love you angel).

9. NW3soul
    10 June 2007 at 18:21

This took me way back! Tony was truly gifted but underrated. Only learnt of his passing through this. Any more details?
    Rest in Peace

10. 11 June 2007 at 15:54

A great tribute. Thank you.
    Thanks for the shout out!

11. chica
    14 June 2007 at 09:01

I hope everything is okay, EJ. Take care.