OSW: Thinking About Your Love

I’ve been listening to so much new stuff, it was hard for me to concentrate and come up with this. I started with two ideas but I shelved them and came up with this in the 11th hour.

Old School Wednesday: Thinking About Your Love.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Skipworth & Turner – Thinking About Your Love
02 – The System – You Are In My System
03 – Howard Johnson – So Fine
04 – Mac Band – I Could Never Say Goodbye
05 – Michael Jeffries – I’m Waiting
06 – S.O.S. Band – The Finest
07 – Bryan Loren – Lollipop Luv
08 – Kenny Loggins – This Is It
09 – The Whispers – In The Mood
10 – Shalamar – I Can Make You Feel Good
11 – Don Blackman – Holding You, Loving You
12 – George Duke – Just For You
13 – Teena Marie – Irons in the Fire
14 – Howard Huntsberry – Married Men Get Lonely Too

The one song that I absolutely had to put in this mix is Thinking About Your Love. When I heard this cut recently, I almost ran off the road. I hadn’t heard it in more than 15 years. The System, Howard Johnson, Bryan Loren, and Shalamar stick out in my mind as cuts I would hear in clubs. The Mac Band had some really good cuts from their Luv U 2 The Limit CD, as I Could Never Say Goodbye demonstrates, with it’s homage to Cameo. Michael Jeffries’ cut is followed by SOS Band, it’s because they’re both cuts which have background vocals from no other than Lisa Keith. Two songs that we always grooved to (but rarely admitted) were Kenny’s This Is It, and of course the ultimately mellow In The Mood by The Whispers. Don Blackman, George Duke, Teena Marie and Howard Huntsberry round out the mix with their stellar smooth moves.

Special thanks to
JC for looking out for the acid jazz podcasts (which are now working and are downloadable), and Zuri for reminding me about Howard Huntsberry.

Take it light.

9 Responses “OSW: Thinking About Your Love”

1. Thierno
    23 May 2007 at 09:48

Hi EJ. You know it’s always a good day when I hear a System tune, being a true System FANATIC!!!! Then you add Kashif to the mix (with Howard Johnson); Bryan Loren… We’re deep in Electro Soul here.
    Thanks.
    Cheers

2. 23 May 2007 at 11:31

You did it again!
    The System track never gets old. But man, “So Fine”!!! I haven’t heard that in years. Love it!!!. I was a little weary of the Kenny Loggins track, but after a few seconds, IT FIT! How you figured that ish, i’ll never know!!! And finishing ish up with Teena just put me away. Can’t wait for the podcast to throw im my collection.
    Peace, Blackman.
    BEEFCAKE!!!!!

3. 23 May 2007 at 11:46

You threw me a curve when I first read the title “Thinking About Your Love” and had me thinking that this was going to be a slow, mellow groove mix. Then I heard the first notes of Skipworth & Turner; oh yeah, now I know what you were hinting at the other day. I haven’t heard this jam in years! Definitely remember partying to this one back in the day.
    As I was listening to the mix while getting ready for work this morning I was thinking… you know this mix is a perfect example of what we’ve all come to know as the “EJFlavors sound”. You start us off with an uptempo groove and carry that through for the first part of the mix, blend in a bit of soft rock and/or blue-eyed soul, ever so smoothly transition the tempo down a notch or two and then take us out with a few melodic cuts of jazz and/or love ballads. Nice. Very, very nice. I think this mix has a firm place in my Top 5 all-time favorite EJ mixes.

4. metaphyzxx
    23 May 2007 at 17:13

I guess it’s time I came back home. I’mma have to check out that podcast now.

5. james madison
    23 May 2007 at 19:57

Now THIS is what I’m talking about. Great way to kick off a set man!
    Skipworth and Turner ROCKS!!! I always loved this song. What year was this about 84-85..Good times Indeed! Kenny Loggins!?!? GREAT!! So Fine is the JUMP!!!!
    They say digital don’t wear and tear like analog…let me know tho’..cuz I’m about to test the theory with these here trax!!!!!!
    This is music for a Spring Day.
    Many, many thanks BUDDY!!!!!!!!

6. james madison
    23 May 2007 at 20:12

Oh, You don’t have to post this if you don’t want EJ –
    Hopefully you don’t know about it and it will give you a burst of energy and pick me up like your mixes do for all of us.
    Check the sounds of these Net Radio Stations –
    All the best!

7. NitaB
    19 July 2007 at 00:27

o my God…..Lollipop Luv ….I haven not heard it since over 20 years ago!!!! Thank you!!!

8. carla thomas
    18 January 2008 at 23:36

Oh my gosh!!! this mix is the bomb! I stumbled onto the site while looking for “Super Cautious Girl” by Hinton Battle. I started reading the tracks on the first mix and your comments about Skipworth & Turner and I was like, “aw man! I remember that jam!” As soon as the track started playing I was in a zone!! Thank you!!! I’m always looking for REAL old school and those funky joints that people rarely remember. I think I just fell in love with you!!!!

9. Miss Kizzy
    5 February 2008 at 10:58

I freakin’ love this mix of songs, especially after search FOREVER and found Lollipop Luv!
    I didn’t know you had so many collaborations. I am currently in pursuit of an old Al Jarreau whose lyrics include, “…if we seek we’ll find a magic star design. We’ve got the chance to bring out fantasies to life. We’ve got to take a spark and try to light the dark…we can’t let it get away.”
    Oh, baby! If you find that song I will eternally be in your debt. Holler at your girl, EJ!
    Thanks again for the wonderful mix.