OSW: Places And Spaces

A little bit of everything here…

Old School Wednesday: Places And Spaces.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Evelyn Champagne King – Shame
02 – Candi Staton – Young Hearts Run Free
03 – The Brothers Johnson – I’ll Be Good to You
04 – Brass Construction – Partyline
05 – Patrice Rushen – Get Off (You Fascinate Me)
06 – Donald Byrd – Places And Spaces
07 – Jamiroquai – Return of The Space Cowboy
08 – Steely Dan – Hey Nineteen
09 – Stevie Wonder – Blame It On The Sun
10 – Fredrick – Gentle (Calling Your Name)
11 – Krystol – Same Place, Same Time
12 – Phyllis Hyman – Falling Star
13 – Rick James – Moonchild
14 – The Emotions – Blessed

The mix starts out with Evelyn and Candi to give a little taste of two great female singers. The Brothers Johnson, Brass Construction and Patrice Rushen give you some of the 80s at it’s finest. While Donald Byrd’s Places and Spaces and Jamiroquai’s Return of the Space Cowboy start to mellow out the mix, Steely Dan’s Hey Nineteen manages to inject even more white hot soul into it. Stevie Wonder’s Blame It On The Sun and Frederick’s Gentle (Calling Your Name) start to slow things down, paving the way for Krystol’s Same Place, Same Time, Phyllis’ Falling Star, Rick James’ Moonchild. We end the mix with The Emotions’ Blessed, a perfect nightcap to end the mix with.

Special thanks to Brown Sugar for the suggestion of Frederick, Mr. Madison for bringing my attention to Krystol, and D’West for inspiring me to place Stevie Wonder and Jamiroquai in the mix. Much love to them.

Take it light.

8 Responses “OSW: Places And Spaces”

1. 28 March 2007 at 09:01

Man I have been looking for Krystol’s – Same Place, Same Time 4ever. You’ve gotta put the mp3 on Slipback for me. I’ll use it myself at a later date.
    You know I love the Rick James Joint, and Frederick, oh man, I use to rock that Gentle joint back in the day. Hey man, I’ll be in ATL first weekend in May for my Duaghters sweet sixteen. Shoot me an email with your contact info. Would love to link up and meet my musical brother from another Mother.
    Peace & Blessings

2. james madison
    28 March 2007 at 11:32

Thanks again for the stroll down memory lane!
    Maaaann!!!! Fredrick (What!?!) Great song. I have not heard it in years. Evelyn Champagne King…I think I was in kindergarten or first grade when this song came out. I remember hearing it a lot when my family was traveling South to Alabama. I was shocked to learn how young E King was when she made this song. So much control and powerful voice.
    Rick Jame’s Moonchild was the jump for my Jr. high years.
    Steely Dan is always the move. Brass Construction, Bros. Johnson, Jamiroquai.
    Krystol!!! E you made my day with this mix!!!!!
    Forget everything else. I’m tuned into EJFLAVORS.COM!

3. 28 March 2007 at 11:41

Lovin’ Blessed. Y’all better sang, Huchinson sisters!

4. 28 March 2007 at 13:59

EJ, see now you gone and done it, your mixes are so good that you got people forgettin’ about the rest of us MP3blogs out here and tuning in only to you! {smile}
    Man,oh, man… when I logged on and saw this lineup my first thought was “EJ went on and made a mix JUST FOR ME!” I mean Patrice Rushen, Evelyn ‘Champagne’ King, The Brothers Johnson, Candi Staton, Brass Construction and not to mention “Places and Spaces” by Donald Byrd… all in the first six cuts! Whooo! Are you sure you weren’t listening to one of my college radio shows back in the day, cause this sure looks like it was lifted off of one of my playlists from back then? Now, you know I think every OSW is good (better than good) but this one is just OUTSTANDING!

5. james madison
    28 March 2007 at 17:33

Hey EJ –
    Could you possibly help spread the word to your friends about this?
    Hopefully we can all pitch in and help keep good music going.
    Radio is just not doing a great job and the corporations are just greedy.

6. 28 March 2007 at 22:33

Man, Candy Staton’s speaking the truth right there.
    You can’t go wrong with Patrice Rushen on a playlist period.
    Plus, I am becoming a fan of Brass Construction.
    Looking forward to next week powerful mix.

7. 31 March 2007 at 08:19

EJ, Bruh you put it down this Wed….To kick your set off with Blessed, and then f/u with Rick, and then you have the nerve to throw DONALD BYRD in there….Tight, you hittin all cylinders my brother……I was only able to get to listen this morning, work had me on the lock!
    Good Looking my brother, I’ll shoot some more suggestions to you down the line….
    Peace,
    D’W

8. D'West
    31 March 2007 at 08:45

E-Tried to send some words earlier, but…..Man this one is up there, that Blessed to kick it of took me wayyyyy back! Thanks for hittin a home run and following up with Donald Byrd….Bruh…Nothing Like Rock Creek Park..