OSW: Out Of Thin Air, Volume 9

Spring is almost here and I’ve been extremely lazy, so I had to put NJS on hold this week. Not to worry though. I’m sure you’ll like:

Old School Wednesday: Out Of Thin Air, Volume IX.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Vanity – Mechanical Emotion (featuring Morris Day)
02 – S.O.S. Band – For Your Love
03 – Taja Sevelle – Trouble Having You Near
04 – Karyn White – Don’t Mess With Me
05 – Johnny Gill – Never Know Love
06 – Ce Ce Peniston – Searchin’
07 – Tom Tom Club – Genius Of Love
08 – Vanessa Williams – The Comfort Zone
09 – Brian McKnight – Goodbye My Love
10 – Ann Nesby – If You Love Me
11 – Guy – Smile
12 – Brownstone – Baby Love
13 – SWV – Rain
14 – Skyy – When You Touch Me
15 – The Time – Girl

I know you’re familiar with most, if not all, of these cuts. I’ve been dying to drop Mechanical Emotion for quite some time, as well as For Your Love and Trouble Having You Near, which are three of my favorite tracks. Karyn, Ce Ce, and Johnny segue into Tom Tom Club’s classic, Genius of Love. Vanessa, Brian, and Ann mellow us out a little bit, bringing us into slow jams from Guy, Brownstone, SWV, and Skyy. I finally had to end the mix with the way I began it with a Morris Day on this classic track, Girl.

Take it light.

7 Responses “OSW: Out Of Thin Air, Volume 9”

1. james madison
    14 March 2007 at 11:17

Yes! The Comfort Zone….Wasn’t a Big fan of 90’s R&B but this is a beauty! Tom Tom Club…That is WHAT’S UP!!!!
    Thanks as always!

2. Thierno
    14 March 2007 at 17:48

LA & Babyface… enough said!
    EJ, you should have called this OSW the B-Sides or something like that. Back in thoses days, when you bought an album, it was packed with nothing but hits. That’s why they still sound good to this day. Thank you.
    Peace

3. ms. alex
    15 March 2007 at 09:30

~ Yes..you indeed have pulled out a lot of songs that I am familiar with and a few that are new to me. Right now I am stuck on ‘Girl’…u switched it up by makin it first in play instead of last on the blog.. ‘Rain’ by SWV..beautiful…evra thing….Dang! Forgot all about Mechanical Emotion!!! Loved it! Thanks, E.

4. chica
    15 March 2007 at 22:41

Hey EJ! Now you know that I needed that Time track! Thanks!
    I totally forgot about “The Comfort Zone”!
    Have a good week!

5. 16 March 2007 at 13:15

Another thoroughly enjoyable set of music from the mighty “Wizard of Wednesday”. I have the podcast file playing now as I write this to get me through all the nasty weather going on up here today. If I had a double scotch right now to go along with the tunes I’d be perfect right now! {smile}

6. deb
    16 March 2007 at 16:16

A little of the MPLS sound (Vanity, The Time) works for me! Love The Comfort Zone (downloaded the video a while ago) and I have Genius of Love on my mp3 player. Remember TTC’s Wordy Rappinghood?

7. 18 March 2007 at 22:36

When You Touch Me is a wonderful track. New Orleans radio played that EVERY NIGHT and Sunday morning when I grew up.
    All of these tracks are great.