OSW: NJS, Volume 2

Near the end of the 80’s and on into the 90’s, that which we call New Jack Swing was
in full effect. My mission given to me by some of my friends from around the US is to revisit that era, which took place more than 12 years ago. I present

Old School Wednesday: NJS, Volume II.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Wreckz N Effect – Rump Shaker
02 – Christopher Williams – Talk To Myself
03 – SWV – Anything (From "Above The Rim")
04 – Keith Sweat – I Want Her
05 – Today – Him Or Me
06 – Jodeci – Gotta Love
07 – Guy – Groove Me
08 – Heavy D & The Boyz – Somebody For Me
09 – Al B. Sure! – Had Enuf?
10 – Tevin Campbell – Goodbye
11 – En Vogue – My Lovin’ (You’re Never Gonna Get It)
12 – Intro – Let Me Be the One
13 – Joe Public – Anything
14 – Soul for Real – Every Little Thing I Do

This whole lineup is great to me, but I’m especially pleased that Jodeci, Al B. Sure, and Soul For Real are in the mix as well.
Many props, of course, to KB, Thierno, Prime, and ms. alex. Take it light.

9 Responses “OSW: NJS, Volume 2”

1. 7 March 2007 at 09:05

EJ, first things first… Play-list is TIGHT!! Great era of music right there, a lot of good memories listening to this.
    secondly, when are you gonna fix my link man? Where’s the love?
    SOULcrates

2. ms. alex
    7 March 2007 at 10:12

~ I shudda known you weren’t going to leave the granddaddy of NJS out of mix..Mr. Keith Sweat! Love that joint by Today, Al. B.; the whole rb is nice man..thks 4 all u and your cohorts do.

3. sher
    7 March 2007 at 11:00

wow! ever since you mentioned today in last week’s post, i’ve been FEENIN for their classic joint, to the point where i kept replaying the hypnotic “him?…me…” query in my head. thanks for closing the loop.

4. Big Daddy
    7 March 2007 at 14:46

Bruh you must’ve made this one for me. All of these songs are still in heavy rotation on the IPod.
    Still listening…

5. james madison
    7 March 2007 at 15:01

Best of the Swing with – K Sweat, Guy and Hev and the Boys.
    Maaan..this brings back the memories. There were 2 brothers
    going by the dance names of Shake and K Loose who went to my
    high school and they danced for Guy. There was a good percentage of my high school (not me tho’) in the Groove Me video
    as well as the Johnny Kemp vid for Just Got Paid.
    Awww, man…Thanks!

6. james madison
    13 March 2007 at 11:50

Hey EJ? Would you have a song called Same Place, Same Time by a
    group called Krystol? The track is from ’84 and was produced by Leon Sylvers.
    Best!

7. deb
    13 March 2007 at 11:52

Word to Rump Shaker! 😀

8. Qamar
    13 March 2007 at 23:18

EJ, that was such a fun period musically!
    The Soul For Real track was a fave and still makes me wanna move.
    I remember seeing Keith Sweat in concert in ’88 (damn, that was almost 20 years ago) with the Deele and Earth Wind & Fire… he was pure energy and by the the most fun that night.
    My nephew was 2 when Rump Shaker came out and my brother and I used to holla watching him try to sing “all I wanna do is zooma zoom zoom…”
    This mix is hot!

9. Tommi
    23 March 2007 at 21:20

This is still the best music ever. This was my era-YES SIR!!
    Love SWV-Anything (the rap was off the hook on this song)
    I remember seeing Keith Sweat perform at a club called Utopiah in Landover,MD. He wore all black-HOT!