OSW: 2007: Push The Reset Key

Happy New Year! I’m proud to say this is the third year that Old School Wednesday has been featured, and there’s still uncharted territory that we’ve yet to explore. This will be the beginning of a great year. Starting this year out, as I reflected on 2006 and what an interesting year it was. I realized that his year, I wanted to be able to branch out and do more socially and personally. To achieve this, I needed to take all of the negatives in my life and turn them into positives. In effect I just needed to push the reset button.

Old School Wednesday: 2007: Push The Reset Button.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – O’Bryan – Lovelite
02 – Al Hudson & The Partners – You Can Do It
03 – Dynasty – Do Me Right
04 – Imagination – Just An Illusion
05 – Odyssey – Inside Out (12 inch Version)
06 – SOS Band – Borrowed Love (Extended Version)
07 – Twennynine with Lenny White – Fancy Dancer
08 – Wally Badarou – Chief Inspector
09 – Boz Scaggs – Jo-Jo
10 – Steely Dan – Do It Again
11 – Roy Ayers – Searchin
12 – Loose Ends – Choose Me
13 – Maze Feat. Frankie Beverly – Lady Of Magic
14 – Heatwave – Look After Love
15 – Shalamar – I Don’t Wanna Be The Last To Know

While Odyssey (with Mark Adams from Slave kicking a killer bassline), SOS Band (Jam and Lewis, anyone?), and Loose Ends are my staple, I couldn’t put this mix up without including some O’Bryan, Roy Ayers, Twennynie, Al Hudson (remember One Way?), Boz Scaggs, Steely Dan, Dynasty, and Shalamar in the mix. I even placed one of my favorite instrumentals in from Wally Badarou and two slow cuts not often heard, Maze’s Lady of Magic and Heatwave’s Look After Love.

This is the fourth year that we’ve been giving Old School Wednesdays to the masses. Special props to the resident genius Mr. Grundy, the amazing infectious Mr. Grantlove, my dungeonmistress Honey, and of course the originator Mr. KB. Even deeper props to everyone who’s touched this and pushed me when I was sure I had gone far enough. There’s nowhere to go but up. Take it light.

9 Responses “OSW: 2007: Push The Reset Key”

1. James madison
    10 January 2007 at 10:47

Great stuff. Always loved Chief Inspector by Wally Badarou.
    Ditto on anything Boz Scaggs. Odyssey always come up sounding
    fresh!
    Great selections!

2. james madison
    10 January 2007 at 11:44

Oh, yeah…I would be remiss to say that Twennynine with Lenny White is the joint..brings me back to good ole 1980….
    Ahhh, miss those times.
    Thanks EJ!

3. 10 January 2007 at 11:57

Lady of Magic is my Mom’s favorite Maze song. She used to play that joint every Saturday morning when we’d clean up the house when I was a kid.
    She’s got so much magic
    So much love and magiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic

4. deb
    10 January 2007 at 19:33

O’Bryan’s Lovelite! Word? I was trying to find this on the net.
    And I just love Odyssey’s Inside Out. Don’tcha think about the intro to Slave’s Watching You when you first hear this? Anyway, this song hasn’t left my mp3 player!

5. chica
    10 January 2007 at 20:33

Happy New Year to you, EJ!
    You have made me smile with O’Bryan. Did he record or remake “Still Waters Run Deep”?

6. MoniMoni
    11 January 2007 at 00:15

Happy New Year EJ! It’s been a while…life has been fast and furious…but I’m loving it. I see we have our Shalimar record posted. “I Don’t Wanna Be The Last To Know” is my favorite Shalimar song. Oh yeah, that and “Dead Giveaway”. Happy 2007 everyone!

7. 11 January 2007 at 12:40

@ chica: Still Waters was originally done by the Four Tops.

8. 15 January 2007 at 09:57

Appreciate the love EJ. You’ve inspired my site in more ways than one. Keep on doing what you’re doing bruh.
    come check on my modest new site New & Improved SOULcrates

9. 17 January 2007 at 11:50

Late getting my comments in on this one, been trying to get the hang of the application coComment (http://www.cocomment.com) to use for posting and tracking comments on sites. So far, its not bad.
    Anyway, you came out the gate of 2007 with the top down, pedal to the metal, nitro-charged with this one kiddo. Always loved that Odyssey cut, and I didn’t think anybody else remembered Lenny White’s Twennynine group. You can give me anything by Roy Ayers at anytime and Steely Dan, he’s one of my favorites (yeah, yeah, I know SD is a group, I was just having a flashback to some conversations I used to have in college with some friends of mine who didn’t know {smile}).
    Now, with all that said… about this “genius” label… I like it, er I mean stop it, you’re given me a swelled head! {smile} You da real genius around here, producing a playlist/mix on a weekly basis. I have yet to even come close to that kind of output. With a start like this, I have the feeling that 2007 is going to be a very, very good year!