OSW: Out Of Thin Air, Volume III

EJ on the mellow (read: overworked) tip. Droppin’ it.

Old School Wednesday: Out Of Thin Air, Volume III.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Brick – Dazz
02 – Narada Michael Walden – Divine Emotions
03 – George McRae – I Get Lifted
04 – Ca$hflow – Mine All Mine
05 – Third World – Try Jah Love
06 – Brass Construction – Right Place
07 – Deniece Williams – I Found Love
08 – Soul II Soul – People
09 – Ramsey Lewis – Whisper Zone
10 – The Cars – Drive
11 – Jevetta Steele – Love Is A Losing Game
12 – Michael Franks and Patti Austin – Now You’re In My Dreams
13 – LeVert – Feel Real
14 – Aretha Franklin – United Together

Well, I started out with Brick and Narada Michael Walden, but what got me was my brother-in-law, who was playing I Get Lifted from his truck. That track was one of the tightest tracks I can remember from back in the day. Then, from Larry Blackmon’s label Atlanta Artists from the 80s is Ca$hflow’s Mine All Mine, followed by Third World and Stevie Wonder’s Try Jah Love. I had been feeling Brass Construction, so I pulled out Right Place, and I wanted to hear Deniece’s I Found Love again.

I followed Soul II Soul and Ramsey Lewis’ Whisper Zone (love that instrumental) with The Cars’ Drive. It’s all about Jevetta Steele’s (remember Calling You?) melancholy track Love Is A Losing Game, one of my favorite cuts off her album Here It Is.Michael and Patti’s Now You’re In My Dreams is off the album Skin Dive, and I followed it by Nikki’s favorite LeVert cut Feel Real and Aretha Franklin’s wonderful cut to close with, United Together.

Take it light.

8 Responses “OSW: Out Of Thin Air, Volume III”

1. ms. alex
    29 November 2006 at 08:40

~ I’m feeling it; you know I likes sum Brick & Brass!

2. Thierno
    29 November 2006 at 09:03

What’s up, EJ? I like how/ where you derive inspiration… I’ll admit that I only know 3 of the tracks here, but glad you put Narada in the mix, as this song is still on heavy rotation at home. My day is starting off just right. Thanks.
    Peace

3. ms. alex
    29 November 2006 at 09:16

That ‘Mine All Mine’ sounds like the intro to ‘I Found Lovin’ by Fatback. Coincidence?

4. Yvette
    29 November 2006 at 10:14

Great OSW tracks!! Aretha Franklin’s “United Together” was the wedding song backin the day!! Also, I didn’t know Jevetta Steele had an album. I first heard of her and that song on Kirk Whalum’s cd “Cache” in the early 90’s. Great to hear it again. Thanks EJ

5. 29 November 2006 at 11:32

That Levert track was played heavily back during my college days at Wilberforce. Kept it in heavy rotation on my Song to bone to tape.

6. 29 November 2006 at 21:37

Thanks for turning me onto Feel Real, EJ. I’m lovin’ it!

7. chica
    30 November 2006 at 19:23

The first track brings back so many memories!

8. SmoothOperator
    5 December 2006 at 17:03

What’s good, the music is phenomenal. The flow is deadly and the music goes way back in my mind. I’m looking for a song by Jennifer Holliday “say You Love me”. Anything by her is hot to death for one of your mixes. But if you can post that joint,it would be much appreciated. Spent.