OSW: Melanin Not Required, Volume I

In a quick and fast way to prepare for the holiday, I went ahead and put together a euro groove mix, one that was actually implemented some 2 years ago. Since I don’t have much time due to holiday preparations and huge workloads, let me slide the tracks and the podcast for you.

Old School Wednesday: Melanin Not Required, Volume I.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Yazoo – Situation
02 – Aha – Take On Me
03 – The Fixx – One Thing Leads To Another
04 – Paul Young – Come Back And Stay
05 – Yes – Owner Of A Lonely Heart
06 – Duran Duran – A View To A Kill (From A View To A Kill)
07 – Scritti Politti – Perfect Way
08 – Talk Talk – It’s My Life
09 – The Art of Noise – Close (To the Edit)
10 – David Bowie – China Girl
11 – Rick Astley – Never Gonna Give You Up
12 – Elton John – Benny and the Jets
13 – Go West – Goodbye Girl
14 – Howard Jones – No One Is To Blame
15 – The Police – King of Pain

I’ll be putting more of my critique in as time permits. Until then have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. Take it light.

10 Responses “OSW: Melanin Not Required, Volume I”

1. MoniMoni
    22 November 2006 at 07:37

I was a SERIOUS MTV baby…I remember every one of these songs. Art of Noise brings back that wild video of a kid in punk rock makeup and two grown men, (In a junk yard I think?) rocking along to the song. David Bowie’s China Girl (Oh baby, just you shut your mouth…Shhhh). Anyone remember when Elton John performed Benny and the Jets on Soul Train? Great memories. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

2. ms. alex
    22 November 2006 at 08:44

Haven’t listened to the list yet, but just wanted to wish you, EJ, and everyone, a blessed and safe T’giving.

3. ms. alex
    22 November 2006 at 09:11

B-B-B-Benny & the Jets!!!! Oh, man, that’s awesome. Always loved ‘Owner of a Lonely Heart” too. Woohoooo! Thanks, E.

4. Big Daddy
    22 November 2006 at 09:17

Man I remember all the R&B stations in Houston BUMPIN’ that “Owner of a Lonely Heart.” I still keep Go West on the Ipod. Nice list bruh. Happy Holiday!

5. deb
    22 November 2006 at 18:55

I like this OSW title! :) I wanted to create a similar file for my mp3 player but calling it Blue-Eyed Soul is so tired. And besides, it wouldn’t be all “soul”. (Unless one thinks Blondie or the Human League are soul.) Anyway, you’ve compiled a fine list. Looking forward to Volume II. (Can I suggest the Police’s Voices Inside My Head?)

6. Qamar
    22 November 2006 at 19:19

Hey EJ! Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
    There was funky remix of “Owner of a Lonely Heart” that they used to play in the clubs in Southern California. Man, now I gotta try to find that! Great memories.
    “It’s My Life” and “Situation” still sound wonderful.
    Confession time: I loved that first Rick Astley album! Wore out the cassette before finally getting it on CD.

7. chica
    26 November 2006 at 20:05

I hope that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holidays!

8. 28 November 2006 at 02:57

“Owner of A Lonely Heart” took me back to some places that I had forgotten, which isn’t hard to do considering the fog that I traverse on a daily.
    But for a moment. Shit got real clear.
    Love this one.

9. sher
    28 November 2006 at 17:23

thanks, ej, for always fulfilling my need for superior tunage, esp. with some right-on-time synth-pop. particularly loving yazoo and scritti politti. “perfect way” makes me feel 11 all over again.

10. 6 December 2006 at 09:59

Love it! I might be younger than some of y’all because I’m learning about some of these songs for the first time. Thank you for repping Rick Astley. One of my favorite radio morning shows in Atlanta actually put “Never Gonna Give You Up” in their IPod From Hell, but I’ll love Rick’s music forever!
    Love the title, too. 😉