OSW: ALOE Volume 1

A mix with a splash of Qamar, a touch of CoachMVP, and a nice helping from Thierno.

Old School Wednesday: A Little Of Everything.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Rene & Angela – I’ll Be Good
02 – Junior – Somebody (12 inch Version)
03 – Mac Band – Jealous
04 – New Edition – A Little Bit Of Love
05 – Gary Brown – Somebody’s Been Sleepin’ In My Bed
06 – Barry White – I Only Want to Be with You
07 – Soul II Soul – Untitled
08 – Teena Marie – Parking Music
09 – Mary J Blige – Love No Limit
10 – Maysa – Sexy
11 – Highland Place Mobsters – Catalogs of Lost Love (Vol. 1)
12 – Eagles – I Cant Tell You Why
13 – Howard Hewett – I’m For Real
14 – Rockie Robbins – I Believe In Love

I have this thing for the Junior track, which I hadn’t heard in a while, Barry White (with production from Jam and Lewis), Maysa (co-written and background vocals by Siedah Garrett), and the unmitigated Eagles.
The Soul II Soul instrumental is a nice touch, while Highland Place Mobsters’ track is a short clip demonstrating what they were capable of.

[10/21/06] – The podcast is finally up. Enjoy.

6 Responses “OSW: ALOE Volume 1”

1. ms. alex
    4 October 2006 at 08:14

I have to admit, I only know 5 of the 14. Thanks for the eclectic mix you guys. Beautiful slow jams (esp. the Mobsters’s cut & Rockie Robbins). Much love ~

2. Thierno
    4 October 2006 at 11:04

Thanks for the shot out, EJ. Hope you’re feeling better.
    Rene & Angela is a nice way to start off this OSW.
    That MacBand track reminds us all of the powerful yet melodic LA & Babyface sound. Can they get back together again? LOL
    I didn’t know Highland Place Mobsters had released an album. I only remember the song they had on the Boomerang soundtrack.
    Good job, as always, on putting up such an easy-flowing mix.
    Peace.

3. 4 October 2006 at 20:25

Love that Eagles cut. EJ, if you haven’t heard the live version, you need to download it.

4. chica
    4 October 2006 at 20:28

Rene and Angela! I’m grinning from ear to ear! “Love No Limit” brings back such good memories. Thank you!
    I hope you feel better.

5. 5 October 2006 at 01:54

This is a dead of the night Batman blogger fly by
    Man, up late with nothin to do and the S2S instrumental podcast is bluescreened. It’s a slow night in ATL, and even slower on my sofa.

6. 10 October 2006 at 23:06

Love the juxtaposition of the Eagles’ classic “I Can’t Tell You Why” with Howard Hewett’s wonderful “I’m For Real” because Howard did a beautiful cover of that Eagles song several years ago.
    Like Ms. Alex, many of these songs are new to me, too.
    Man, talk about a collection of hidden gems! Soul II Soul is always right! The Mac Band reminds me of the whole New Jack Swing era and the Teena cut reminds me that there were a lot of great stuff on her “Passion Play” disc.
    Excellent mix, EJ!