OSW: September

My bad! I overslept!

Old School Wednesday: September.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – The Fatback Band – I Like Girls
02 – Cameo – I Just Want to Be
03 – Ready for the World – Digital Display
04 – Cherrelle – Artificial Heart
05 – Guy – Teddy’s Jam 2
06 – Timmy Gatling – Rock Me Good
07 – Shalamar – Make That Move
08 – Troop – Keep You Next To Me
09 – Zhané – Sending My Love
10 – Zapp – Computer Love (Extended Version)
11 – Al B. Sure! – Oooh This Love Is So
12 – Intro – My Love’s On The Way
13 – Tony! Toni! Tone! – It Never Rains In Southern California
14 – Will Downing – I Go Crazy
15 – Levert – Pop Goes My Mind

I’m sure everyone knows all of these songs, but one song that I rarely, if ever, heard on the radio was Teddy’s Jam 2.
It was a shame that Timmy Gatling left Guy due to creative differences, but he always knew how to jam. Rock Me Good was my favorite song from him, especially with background vocals from Alton "Wokie" Stewart. Hope you enjoy.

Tags:

13 Responses “OSW: September”

1. ms. alex
    13 September 2006 at 09:41

Yeah, man, I was worried about you!! Ab-so-lute-ly LOVE this mix!! ~ Keep it uuuuppp!

2. Thierno
    13 September 2006 at 09:49

Wow!!!! Levert is definitely an old favorite. Guy’s ‘The Future’ album was so full of jams that it could given us many more singles than we actually got, thanks to Uptown Records’ mis-management. LOL
    Thanks, EJ. Another excellent mix.

3. 13 September 2006 at 13:17

Oh how I love Will Downing’s voice!

4. 13 September 2006 at 15:55

I Just Want To Be reminds me of summer house parties! Whatever happened to the fine art of throwing a house party? Man…I wish those days. Would. Come back once more. I wish those days. Ne’er. E’r had to go. Cuz I loved them so. :-)

5. 13 September 2006 at 17:02

Wow, that’s back in the day when Levert was wearing the jheri curls. And “Computer Love” never grows old. What great combo……..Charlie Wilson, Shirley Murdock and Roger Troutman.

6. chica
    13 September 2006 at 18:53

Wonderful! Thanks for Shalamar, Zapp and Cameo! I just heard “Alligator Woman” the other day! Thanks!

7. Gullah Child
    13 September 2006 at 19:50

Hey,
    I’ve been digging your site since the early part of this year. I’ve enjoyed all of the OSWs. I was expecting a Tupac Tribute today. It’s 10 years today since his death.
    Peace and Blessings 2 U

8. ms. alex
    14 September 2006 at 09:28

~Thanks for the podcast!! Jammin’ hard on Fatback(*smiles*), Cameo, Zapp, Guy, Al B. (oh my gosh) and T3 & Levert (Gerald is so cute). Scorchin’ mix!! Jus’ had to say it agin..

9. 16 September 2006 at 05:38

I am always so amazed by the power and richness of the Levert mens voices! Good selection, as always!

10. MoniMoni
    16 September 2006 at 11:57

I agree about Teddy’s Jam 2, it should have received a lot of radio back in the day.
    I was mentioning to a friend of mine that I really miss music. Although *gasp* I am digging Justin Timberlakes “SexyBack” (as I creep to the corner)… :) Hear ya next week?

11. chica
    17 September 2006 at 00:20

Oh yeah! Thanks for “Artificial Heart”.

12. 18 September 2006 at 22:41

Timmy Gatling? Wow, now there’s a blast from the past. I LOVED Guy. Gatling is shown on the cover of the first GUY album before Aaron’s brother joined the group. A shame they couldn’t crank out more albums. Teddy seemed to be a control freak. He had creative differences with BlackStreet too. Nicely done as always EJ! Where ya been pardna?

13. 19 September 2006 at 22:37

Jaaaam, oh jaaaaaam, jaaaaammmmm, Teddy jaammmm for me! Man, I used to have this in rotatation all the time!