OSW: New Batteries In The Boom Box

I had to take a longer than usual hiatus but life’s like that right about now. Good things coming along in the next couple of weeks, but I don’t want to jinx it. Details to come later. Right now, let’s switch to the boom box, and with KB putting his hand in it, it’s all good. Presenting:

Old School Wednesday: New Batteries In The Boom Box.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – World Famous Supreme Team – Hey DJ
02 – Whodini – One Love
03 – Sugar Hill Gang – 8th Wonder
04 – Kurtis Blow – The Breaks
05 – Dr Jeckyll & Mr Hyde – Genius Rap
06 – Positive K – I Got A Man
07 – The Boogie Boys – A Fly Girl
08 – Mantronix – Got to Have Your Love
09 – UTFO – Roxanne Roxanne
10 – Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock – It Takes Two
11 – Roxanne Shante – Have A Nice Day
12 – Monie Love – It’s A Shame
13 – MC Lyte – Poor Georgie
14 – De La Soul feat. A Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers, Queen Latifah & Monie Love – Buddy (12′ Remix)

Most of these cuts are self explanatory, but Hey DJ, Got To Have Your Love, and Buddy have got to be my 3 favorite ones.
Hope you enjoy.

Tags:

20 Responses “OSW: New Batteries In The Boom Box”

1. 9 August 2006 at 01:01

You must be posting as I’m loading…the stripe is still in the mp3 link! I took the liberty of nominating my 2 fav spots for the 2006 BWA’s! i hope you guys get “reconized”

2. ms. alex
    9 August 2006 at 08:21

Positively outstanding!! ^5

3. Big Daddy
    9 August 2006 at 09:17

Son you are a genius. I realize rap and hip hop have gone a lot of places, but personally, what you have on the list is what I STILL listen to. I couldn’t even point to one track in particular. They are ALL hittin’. Thanks again brother.

4. 9 August 2006 at 09:58

EJ we must have been seperated at birth bruh because I was on the same vibe last night. Check my Raps Roots and you’ll see what I mean. Damn, I couldn’t even sneak The Boogie Boys in there without you having that same vibe….Great minds think alike. Must be an Eric thing!!!

5. 9 August 2006 at 12:25

*stomps up and down* my damn ipod isn’t working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. 9 August 2006 at 14:40

*puts on white t-shirt with red Adidas logo*
    *suits up in red Adidas velour sweatsuit with white stripe down pants legs*
    *laces up white Adidas sneakers with red stripes*
    *slips on Cazels over eyes*
    *puts on gold nameplate bamboo earrings emblazoned with the name “Nikki”*
    *combs asymetrical haircut*
    *does uprock*
    *drops down and does a backspin*
    *springs up and points in EJ’s direction to challenge him*

7. MoniMoni
    9 August 2006 at 15:25

LOL at Nikki!! Do tha damm thing! LOL!!
    What’s up EJ? Haven’t been around for a minute, started my much needed 3 week vacation last Thursday. (Which was also my b-day, hit the big 4-0, so this weeks OSW is much appreciated! :)

8. chica
    9 August 2006 at 18:02

Whatchu know about “Poor Georgie”? You have made my day…but what’s new? Thanks EJ!
    I’m on the sidelines waiting for you to take up Nikki’s challenge…
    Happy belated, MoniMoni!

9. KB
    9 August 2006 at 19:48

And this is why YOU can’t take a hiatus. Glad the people are loving it.

10. 9 August 2006 at 20:46

ej stop it right now!! I’ve monie love’s “it’s a shame” as the first track in my current post (embedded player). now you reading my damn mind 😉 incredible. great selection

11. MoniMoni
    9 August 2006 at 20:56

Thanks Chica! (as I bop my head to “Buddy” for the 4th time today! LOL! :)

12. 10 August 2006 at 00:59

Ok, so I had a crush on dude with the teeny tiny cowboy hat back in the day. Must’ve been where my infatuation with black cowboys started.
    Damn you Whodini. DAMN YOU!

13. Jen
    10 August 2006 at 15:45

I remember Whodini’s One Love video and I’d laugh everything they do that little 2 step to each side then put 1 finger up and spin around. Poor Jahlil looked a mess trying to keep in step, LOL.

14. 12 August 2006 at 10:54

everytime i hear ‘i got a man’ i remember that video that was cheezy and entertaining at the same time. the lyrics got brotha sounding just a tad stalkerish. LOL

15. 12 August 2006 at 15:07

Love this Mix!

16. 13 August 2006 at 12:28

Holy Old School Batman!

17. stranger
    13 August 2006 at 14:25

Hey you! I used to love that Mantronix cut – that one and take your time. I STILL do love those two.. definitely can get me on the dance floor. Nice mix.

18. 14 August 2006 at 07:24

I had to break out the pod which has been on hiatus for a few weeks just for this one. Wooh ha I got ya all in check!
    Ok I’ll keep it short. Roxanne Roxanne and Whoudini’s Five minutes of funk were like the first two rap songs that made me like this genre. classic.I used to be walking around singing Dr Ice’s rhymes lol.
    Wasnt a big fan of poor georgie when it first came out took a long time for it to grow on me. It was just so girly compared to lytes previous other hardcore stuff. nice beat though.
    Rob Base oh man that song was one of the best songs to cut up in a club or on the radio
    could go on and on but its a great mix. one love son!

19. 15 August 2006 at 00:00

@Gina, @ms alex, y’all beat me to the punch each and every time. I was still doing some fine tuning. Glad you enjoyed it.
    @Grantlove, you know I’m always trying to be like you. @BigDaddy, I look forward to you vibin’ to this. Get that iPod workin’, @Jo!
    @Nikki –
    Walks in with the Boom Box, Kangol, and the Adidas.
    Walks over to the lady on the side and leans over, allowing her to put my chain on me.
    Stands there and looks at Nikki. Steps back and does a backflip, dances and completes a backspin.
    Pauses and gets back up. Crosses arms and stares at Nikki up and down, waiting for a response.

@MoniMoni! Happy belated birthday! One of these times we’ll catch up with each other.
    @Chica, thanks for your inspiration for the next OSW. I got chu! @KB, keep me goin, man, keep me goin.
    @Obi, I’m just trying to be like you, forreal. @RPM, you killin’ me. @Jen, you’re making me go to YouTube to find this video. @Nikki – that video had me laughing every time I saw it. The girl would roll her eyes so much I thought they were going to pop out.
    @SP, welcome aboard. @Hyps – you know you have me hyped for my next rotation. Email me. I’m still absorbing Emmanuel!
    @MnM, @jdid, the fact that you guys were checking this out is letting me know that this mix was alright. *Bows* I’m not worthy…..

20. 16 August 2006 at 12:02

THIS MIX IS JUST WHAT I NEEDED TO GET ME OVER THE HUMP TODAY! YES, I AM YELLING BECAUSE THE MUSIC IS MAKING ME FEEL SO GOOD!!! MAD LUV TO YOU AND KB :)