OSW: To The Sun, Volume 7

Check it out….

Old School Wednesday: To The Sun, Volume 7.

Podcast/mix available here. [Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – KC & the Sunshine Band – Do You Wanna Go Party
10 – Ambrosia – You’re the Only Woman
11 – Will Downing – I Go Crazy
12 – Bobby Caldwell – Open Your Eyes
13 – Christopher Williams – All I See
14 – Aretha Franklin – Day Dreaming
15 – Alyson Williams – Just Call My Name

KC’s cut Do You Wanna Go Party is personally my favorite cut from them, and following along with them is Rufus and Chaka’s Any Love from Masterjam. Thanks to the folks in Philly, I’ve been in the Ashford & Simpson mood, which is why It Seems To Hang On was put in the mix. Eyeballin’ was one of the cuts that was not on the Johnny Wilder tribute.

Nobody Can Be You is also off of Steve Arrington’s Hall Of Fame, while Chuckii Booker’s Out Of The Dark is off of Niice and Wiild. I was thinking of Angie Stone, which caused me to pull out Seems You’re Much Too Busy from Vertical Hold and then follow it up with a forgotten Bill Withers’ cut, Oh Yeah. Afterwards, I thought it would be good to pull out some tracks from Tears For Fears (Advice For The Young At Heart), and Ambrosia (You’re The Only Woman).

I thought it would be good to delve into Will Downing with I Go Crazy, a remake of the Paul Davis tune of the same name, and Bobby Caldwell’s Open Your Eyes, which is also used by a track from Common’s Be.

I finish off the mix with Christopher Williams’ All I See, his first release, Aretha Franklin’s Day Dreaming, and Alyson Williams’ Just Call My Name, arguably my favorite cut from her album, Raw.

Enjoy.

10 Responses “OSW: To The Sun, Volume 7”

1. 26 July 2006 at 14:27

happy belated birthday ej
    sorry i missed the get together i’m sure you all had fun.
    nice old school wednesday mix!

2. 26 July 2006 at 14:28

happy belated birthday ej
    sorry i missed the get together i’m sure you all had fun.
    nice old school wednesday mix!

3. 26 July 2006 at 16:20

I was listening to Promises, Promises this weekend, commenting that Christopher Williams really couldn’t sing but that he got by because of what he looked like. Yanno light skin pretty boys were the thing back then HA HA HA
    Just Call My Name brings back bittersweet memories, indeed….
    Love the mix, as usual!

4. 26 July 2006 at 16:21

Just Call My Name brings back bittersweet memories, indeed….
    Love the mix, as usual!

5. 27 July 2006 at 11:08

Man, doesn’t Will Downing sound like he’s yawnin’ when he sings? He should team up with Aaron Neville and form the Supergroup: The Yawners. HOT!!!
    Daydreaming’s one of wifey’s favorite songs! I like it to.
    And you can never go wrong with Bobby Cawdwell.
    Very nice!!!

6. 27 July 2006 at 11:56

Hey baby let’s get away
    Let’s go somewhere far
    Baby can we
    Where, I don’t care?

That says it all right there!

7. 27 July 2006 at 12:36

Oh…you have hurt me so good on this one, EJ.
    Any Love is so heady, I want to crawl up into Chaka’s contralto and dream. Seems You’re Much Too Busy is what brought me to love Vertical Hold, but the standout on that album to me is 7,6,5 For Love. If that cut manages to find it’s way to next week’s list, I promise you, my fallopian tubes are gon’ pop-lock. All I See…hands down, Chris’s best ever. Every time I hear Day Dreaming, I try to imagine Aretha and Dennis Edwards (who she wrote the song for…her lover at the time) together. Still can’t manage to get THAT visual. LMAO!

8. ms. alex
    28 July 2006 at 09:35

Real smoov grooves: Aretha’s Day Dreaming,Just Call My Name (nice), and Ashy & Simpson. Love the KC…do you wanna go……PARTY!

9. 29 July 2006 at 18:47

EJ, another fine set of music this week. I think I’ve finally figured out why I enjoy OSWs so much and look forward to Wednesday’s these days:
    1) I always seem to discover something new (new to me at least). For example, I thought I was familiar with just about all of Bill Withers’ material but I’ve never heard “Oh Yeah” before; and Vertical Hold is completely new to me (ok, ok, I guess I have some catching up to do {smile}).
    2) You always manage to mix some “blue-eyed soul” or “rock” artists into the mix and make it work. I still get a kick out of “To The Sun, Volume 5” where you have Culture Club and Fleetwood Mac in the same mix with The Ohio Players, Parliament and Slave. That’s just not a combination that one would normally think of when planning a music set. But it works.
    Dammit! You’re making me think and look at my music in different ways now. Thanks, EJ.

10. 29 July 2006 at 19:36

My absolute fav KC & the SB tune! Heatwave (and The Isley Bro.’s) ALWAYS takes me back to 350 Spelman Lane…Curfew and ‘The House