OSW: The Fifth Of July

I love a collaboration with the Old School Wednesday creator himself, KB. It’s the day after Independance Day. so here we go:

Old School Wednesday: The Fifth Of July.

Podcast/mix available here. Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Fatback Band – I Found Lovin’
02 – Sharon Brown – I Specialize In Love
03 – Melba Moore – You Stepped Into My Life
04 – Dynasty – I’ve Just Begun to Love You
05 – Ashford & Simpson – It Seems To Hang On
06 – Junior – Not Tonight
07 – Gwen Guthrie – Padlock
08 – Taana Gardner – Heartbeat [Club Version]
09 – Jocelyn Brown – Somebody Else’s Guy
10 – Odyssey – Native New Yorker (Full Version)

11 – Thompson Twins – In the Name of Love
12 – Cavern – Liquid, Liquid
13 – Rockers Revenge – Battle Cry
14 – Kraftwerk – Tour de France

When he came up with this list, I had to give him major props for Fatback Band’s I Found Lovin’, which is one of my faves, as is Padolock and I’ve Just Begun To Love You. What really got me, however, is his drops of Melba Moore and Jungle Brothers. Share your love. Enjoy.

EDIT 7/5, 5:00PM : Looks like KB has done us another favor and put in place Cavern’s Liquid, Liquid in the mix . Now I’m really speechless, especially since I remember a certain rapper who sampled this cut….

10 Responses “OSW: The Fifth Of July”

1. ms. alex
    5 July 2006 at 08:28

~ Hope everyone had a fun 4th!
    ~ Love-Love-Lovin’ the Fatback, Miss Moore, Ashy & Simpson..eerrrthang!

2. 5 July 2006 at 11:37

Hey now, 2 songs from my former skating rink days: Heartbeat and Somebody Else’s Guy.

3. 5 July 2006 at 12:44

Happy to oblige, my friend.

4. 5 July 2006 at 13:35

How about I just give you a direct link to my Ipod?

5. 5 July 2006 at 14:52

When I checked out this week’s latest OSW and saw the Sharon Brown cut I thought “That’s it!”. I’ve been trying to remember the artist/title of “I Specialize In Love” for weeks. Thanks, EJ. You and GrantLove have become regular, “must reads” on my list of sites I follow. Speaking of GL, I’m looking forward to him posting his “Soul Divas” mix that he talked about last week. Just like the next version of OSW… I can’t wait!

6. 5 July 2006 at 20:41

Ok…..Ok. I’ve been on hiatus for a while. I’ve not been faithful in posting. I love “Native New Yorker” for many reasons…the main one being “Bernadette Stanis”. Ya’ll remember her dancing in the benefit show to that song. Childhood crushes……MAN!!! What a wonderful way to recover from July 4th. We did the Electric Slide from 12pm to 8pm. I hear it in my sleep….when I’m awake….it’s everywhere. We hit Melba, Kraftwerk, and Dynasty many times yesterday. True classics. Thanks and pass the baking soda and water (it’s a country thang)!!!

7. 6 July 2006 at 17:37

hey Ej! i’m throwing a retro house party and i was wondering if you’d re-up the Kool& the gang mix, i’d love to play it at the party…thanks :)

8. 7 July 2006 at 16:59

Thanks to my niece and nephews Karaoke Machine, I am a BEAST at Native New Yorker, karaoke style. Can’t tell me nuthin’….LOLOLOLOLOL

9. 7 July 2006 at 19:05

Cavern KILLED me! Oh my God…And I almost threw my computer off of my desk when “Battle Cry” came on. I am too THROUGH with you THIS day, EJ! OUTSTANDING mix…

10. 7 July 2006 at 22:01