OSW – The Crash, Volume 2

Finally got it together….sorry for the wait.
Network problems kept me frustrated throughout the night.

Old School Wednesday : The Crash, Volume 2.

Podcast/mix available here. Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Brainstorm – We’re On Our Way Home
02 – High Fashion – Hold On
03 – Jermaine Stewart – Jody
04 – Shalamar – My Girl Loves Me
05 – Vesta Williams – Once Bitten Twice Shy
06 – Gladys Knight & The Pips – Save The Overtime (For Me)
07 – Norma Jean Wright – Saturday
08 – Sting – If You Love Somebody (Set Them Free)
09 – Naked Eyes – Promises, Promises
10 – Steve Arrington – Last Nite/Nite Before
11 – Mica Paris – I Can’t Stop Loving You
12 – Madonna – Love Tried to Welcome Me
13 – Evelyn "Champagne" King – The Show Is Over (Feat. Dexter Wansel)
14 – Commodores – Sail On

Brainstorm got me grooving this week with We’re On Our Way Home, and I particularly like this groove because of its intensity that starts you nodding your head and has you energized by the end of the cut. Hold On is from another
Jacques Fred-Petrus creation, High Fashion (think Change and BBQ Band). High Fashion was a trio that consisted of a male vocalist Eric McClinton (who you may not be familiar with) and female vocalists Me’lisa Morgan and Alyson Williams (who you should definitely be familiar with).

Everyone should know about Jermaine Stewart. This cut, Jody, was written with no other than Jody Watley in mind. My Girl Loves Me by Shalamar is arguably one of the few great cuts released by Shalamar after the
departure of Jody Watley and Jeffrey Daniels.

Vesta’s Once Bitten Twice Shy is off of her debut album. Gladys’ wonderful Save The Overtime For Me segues nicely into Norma Jean Wright’s Saturday. If the name Norma Jean rings a bell to you, she should, as she was one of the lead singers of Chic. And yes, the cut was also produced by Nile Rodgers.

We then flip the script and drop some well known cuts, If You Need Somebody (Set Them Free) and Promises, Promises. Steve then drops Last Nite/Nite Before, a wonderful cut. Mica’s cut from the CD Contribution is followed by Madonna’s cut from Bedtime Stories, Love Tried To Welcome Me, produced by Dave Hall. Evelyn’s smooth cut The Show Is Over is followed by one of those cuts that make you sway back and forth, Commodores’ Sail On.

Enjoy.

17 Responses “OSW – The Crash, Volume 2”

1. ms. alex
    21 June 2006 at 08:24

~Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!

2. 21 June 2006 at 08:57

Appreciate it, ms. alex. Everything is back up and running now. I was one mad….

3. 21 June 2006 at 11:01

Your OSW’s keep me going on Wednesday’s. I tend to forget I’m at work and working sometimes. Then I find myself coming back the next few days until Wednesday rolls back around again.

4. 21 June 2006 at 11:52

Good thing you got it together bruh. I need my weekly music lesson ya heard!!
    Peace & Blessings Bruh!

5. 21 June 2006 at 14:17

Lionel Richie was going through that country twang sound with Sail On.

6. 21 June 2006 at 15:23

That intro to “Saturday” (and Luther’s background vocals) always hooks me!
    That Naked Eyes cut still sounds great. One of the 80’s best songs.
    Man, you showed (again) how well you know your sh*t by pulling out the Arrington and Shalamar cuts. Did not know another soul liked either of these songs until now. Both are excellent recordings.
    Excellent mix!

7. Enigma
    21 June 2006 at 19:49

i’m starting to think qamar has a crush on you, lol.
    good thing i remembered you wanted naked eyes, huh? i can’t listen to anything released under the name shalamar w/o jeffrey or jody. i never liked hewitt. plus, he wasn’t an original shalamar member. ick
    by the by, bedtime stories is from ’94. i’m a walking madonna catalogue don’t cha know. not really but more than i care to admit.

8. 21 June 2006 at 20:21

Enigma, LOL!
    I guess I do get a little excited about these OSWs.
    EJ blows me away with his ability to pull out songs every week that I think nobody else besides me liked (or remembers).
    Thanks for the good laugh, Enigma. :-)

9. 21 June 2006 at 21:38

I wish I could find my Norma Jean Wright album (yes, I said album).

10. Enigma
    21 June 2006 at 21:46

qamar, anytime bruh.
    j bro u can find it somewhere in my house. heh! then again, i think it was stolen.

11. 22 June 2006 at 10:39

Aw man, you pulled out the Madonna CD! “Bedtime Stories” is one of the most slept on CD’s of all time. Dallas Austin, Babyface, Meshell… Hot Hot Hot!!!

12. Mr Slish
    22 June 2006 at 15:52

I had your website saved on my page all this time..lol…I like these rare grooves…

13. 22 June 2006 at 18:29

dude, i keep ‘promises, promises’ on REGULAR rotation. i love that song and remember the music video quite vividly.
    this list was mixed very nicely. thanks!

14. 23 June 2006 at 17:10

OMG!!!!!!!
    I have been looking for Brainstorm for YEARS!!!!!! I had this on vinyl and someone disapeared with it! This is like finding a long lost love…Thank You!!!!

15. 23 June 2006 at 17:28

@Grantlove – trying to be like you, bruh! Trying to be like you!
    @Carla – sometimes it’s like that. This is when I try to get home from work early just so I can do this. Hard work, but good stuff.
    @Qamar and @PhillyKat, I need to hang with both of y’all. Forreal. And now, I’m on a mission to find the video for My Girl Loves Me. That’s the only track I think I liked after the split of Jody and Jeffrey.
    @J – I wish you could find that album, too!
    @Toddski – You know that’s one of my favorite albums all the way through. Played that thing to death.
    @Slish – you know I’m always behind the scenes reading like a madman. Need to hang with you too!
    @Nikki – Glad you had a good time, especially with the video.
    @Gina – I thought I was by myself with that Brainstorm cut. That got me absolutely energized when I found it.

16. 26 June 2006 at 06:27

wikid playlist don. went to an old skool party last night and this is perfect for a mid monday morning.
    yo! 21 gunshots for charles smith of kool & the gang? scoured the net and there is not one podcast/list dedicated to kool. for such big hitters …
    save us men!

17. 26 June 2006 at 17:40

Mica is definitely a blast from the past! Awesome!