OSW: Kool & The Gang

Claydes Charles Smith
Claydes Charles Smith, cofounder and lead guitarist of Kool & The Gang, passed away this week, so it’s only due justice to throw down with a:

Old School Wednesday : Kool & The Gang.

Podcast/mix available here. Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

Podcast coming soon. Watch for it.

01 – Hollywood Swinging
02 – Jungle Boogie
03 – Open Sesame
04 – Sea of Tranquility
05 – Summer Madness
06 – Celebration
07 – Ladies Night
08 – Too Hot
09 – Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want It)
10 – Big Fun
11 – Get Down On It
12 – Joanna
13 – Cherish
14 – Fresh
15 – Misled

When I hear tracks like Summer Madness and Take My Heart, there’s no doubt in my mind that this man was a great man and that he will definitely be missed. I’m sure heads will nod to Sea of Tranquility, whose melodies has been sampled to by another R&B singer. Special shout out to Obi (who does it mad wikked like dat) and my main man KB.

Our condolences go out to the Smith Family. Listen and reminisce. Send it on.

12 Responses “OSW: Kool & The Gang”

1. MoniMoni
    28 June 2006 at 07:49

Giving me wonderful memories w/ this OSW. I was saddened to hear of Mr. Smith’s passing as well. Take My Heart was my joint! Whoo, hoo hoo…(like Marvin huh?) lol!

2. ms. alex
    28 June 2006 at 08:31

~Very fitting tribute for OSW. I just found out a few years ago that SUMMER MADNESS was by K&TG. What a mix of funk and ballads!

3. 28 June 2006 at 13:38

I remember the first time I heard Summer Madness. Surprisingly, it wasn’t from my father’s record collection, but from watching the movie Rocky.

4. 28 June 2006 at 22:02

@MoniMoni – that’s one of my fave tracks too!!!
    @ms. alex – yeah, that’s definitely one of the timeless classics. 8 minutes of pure bliss.
    @Nikki – i still can’t get over Open Sesame! that’s one of my wakeup tracks.

5. 29 June 2006 at 07:00

very fitting indeed. had this on last night while i did some paperwork. never been happier shuffling bills and stuff.
    most of those tunes formed the soundtrack to my youth. thx ej
    RIP Charles Smith

6. Big Daddy
    29 June 2006 at 08:37

We were stationed in Germany back when I first heard K&G. I remember going to the dances at the Youth Center and doin’ “Rerun” dances to Hollywood Swingin’. Flavors, it’s because of you that I listen to very little of today’s over produced retreaded schlock. Keep doin’ you!

7. 29 June 2006 at 08:40

Man, rest in peace Claydes Smith & Godspeed to you! Celebration, Too Hot, Get Down On It, Joanna, Cherish, Fresh & Misled are my favorite Kool & the Gang tracks. Too bad they don’t make music like this anymore! Nice job EJ

8. Big Daddy
    29 June 2006 at 09:02

Damn. I should’ve listned FIRST. Mad props on the version of Summer Madness you chose. That’s the lick!

9. 29 June 2006 at 12:34

Sad news, I am have put up a Kool & the gang video on my blog in memory of Charles Smith.
    My favourite Kool track was Hi de Hi, Hi de Ho….Another great one was Love Festival.

10. 30 June 2006 at 16:33

Very fitting!
    I am positively OBSESSED with your site and cannot wait until the weekly list comes out!
    Challenge: Brainstorm…We’re on our way home.
    Norman Conors: You are my starship…and I can’t think og the artist…but the song is…” that is why you are over weight”

11. 1 July 2006 at 14:00

De nada, homey.

12. 3 July 2006 at 17:11

whatsup ej!!! i haven’t been here for a looooong minute! can i say i missed your music!
    Awww that’s sad Claydes Smith passed away, may his soul rest in peace. Too many people passing away lately :(