OSW: To The Sun, Volume 5

Ready for a little disco? Sure you are.

Old School Wednesday : To The Sun, Volume 5.

[Podcast/mix available here. Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Ohio Players – Love Rollercoaster
02 – Heatwave – Too Hot To Handle
03 – Parliament – (Not Just) Knee Deep
04 – Slave – Spice Of Life (Oh Yes, You’re The Best)
05 – Imagination – Music And Lights
06 – Jody Watley – Still A Thrill
07 – Mr Fingers – What About This Love?
08 – Culture Club – Time (Clock of the Heart)
09 – Raydio – You Can’t Change That
10 – Robbie Dupree – Steal Away
11 – Fleetwood Mac – Everywhere
12 – Michael Franks – Mr. Smooth
13 – Wendy And Lisa – Stay
14 – Teena Marie – Dear Lover

I was feeling Ohio Players so it’s only natural that Heatwave, Parliament, and Slave would follow in sequence, right? Imagination’s Music And Lights has gotta be one of the funkiest tracks that never got significant airplay. Jody Watley’s Still A Thrill is my personal favorite off of her first album.

We bring back house music with arguably one of Mr. Fingers finest tracks he ever released, What About This Love? Culture Club’s Time (Clock Of The Heart) is one of the mainstays that I never get tired of, as is Raydio’s track. It’s all about Robbie Dupree’s Steal Away which is one of those tracks they used to play on Quiet Storm back in the day.

I followed up with Fleetwood Mac’s Everywhere which is one of my favorite songs from them, which fit well with Michael Franks’ Mr. Smooth. Wendy and Lisa’s Stay has always been one of the tracks from them I play constantly when I pick up their CD. Of course, you know I had to cap this off with a Teena Marie’s Dear Lover.

Somethin’ about music….it got into my pants…..

12 Responses “OSW: To The Sun, Volume 5”

1. CoachMVP
    10 May 2006 at 01:01

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MAN!!!! Too Hot To Handle! Steal Away! Imagination….more than “Just An Illusion”. You done messed me up for the night. I can’t sleep now. Cmon EJ. U know u ain’t right. How do you keep coming up with this. Teena Marie was made for those corners by the old gym at ECHS. In the hallway goin to the Bandroom. “BAND!” “We are not a boogie band….we are a marching band!” I would trip out over that mess. You have taken me so far back. Sugarfoot and George Clinton at the same time. I need a fro and some yarn. Peace my brother…..my friend!!!!

2. 10 May 2006 at 02:13

“Still a Thrill” is one of Jody’s funkiest (and best!) tracks.
    “Spice of Life!” “Sugah mama girl you’re mighty fine / In making you God took his time.” Still love that sappy line!
    “Time (Clock of the Heart)”… on the short list of all-time favourites.
    “Dear Lover”… wow! Great song from Teena’s ROBBERY (THE heartbreak/heartache album for me). Also check out “Stop the World,” “Midnight Magnet,” “Cassanova Brown,” and “Ask Your Momma” from that disc.
    Only EJ could slide Fleetwood Mac into a mix that features Parliament, Ohio Players, and Slave! Too cool, brothaman!

3. MoniMoni
    10 May 2006 at 07:46

EJ you are too much! I love this week’s OSW. Still a Thrill is my joint!

4. ms. alex
    10 May 2006 at 09:06

~Veerryy nice, EJ. You’ve got LOVE at the beginning, LOVE in the middle and LOVE at the end. Thanks for all my favorite artists.
    ~I LOVE it!!

5. 10 May 2006 at 11:19

How about I have Dear Lover as one of my ringtones?

6. 10 May 2006 at 12:58

ROBBIE DUPREE!!??
    Now THERE is a classic track I haven’t heard since God was a boy!
    Thanks, EJ!
    And PS: Apparently Ms. Teena Marie put out a new CD this week that includes a track written with the late Rick James.

7. 10 May 2006 at 15:59

See now you’re getting on my GOOD side. Teena Marie is my joint, no matter which album and Wendy and Lisa? Goodness. I didn’t think there was anybody out there that still listened to them or even knew who they were. I’ve got the album and will be burning a CD for this weekend.

8. chica
    10 May 2006 at 19:19

“Love Rollercoaster” brought back so many memories for me! Then I saw Culture Club! Then I heard “You Can’t Change That”! I never knew the name of the artist and, of course, you provide that info! Fleetwood Mac…I couldn’t believe it! Who brings them all together in one blog?
    EJ…Who else? Have a great week!

9. 12 May 2006 at 17:34

Wow! Man I LOVE Slave. Since Wednesday, I went and dug out all of my old stuff and had a fest. Thanks for the memories. Good stuff.

10. Derrick
    13 May 2006 at 00:53

EJ, you have no idea how much I love “Everywhere.” “Time” is also a true classic. Thank you. :)

11. 14 May 2006 at 01:09

feeling this one!

12. 17 May 2006 at 09:19

@CoachMVP and @Qamar, you know you guys always get me started just when I’m thinking this will be the last set ever. Thanks.
    Thank you VERY much, @MoniMoni and @ms. alex. @Nikki- you have that jam as a ringtone? Howyoudodatdere? I surprise you sometimes, don’t I @Wayne?
    @Princessdominique, I could talk about Wendy And Lisa all day, you know this… come visit often and I’ll do the same. @chica, you have me blushing. I just try to groove that’s all. GLad you enjoy it.
    @G – I’m glad you’re enjoying it, man. I’m a straight on Slave fan, believe that. I could play them every day. @DErrick – glad I’m not the only fan of Everywhere. Thanks. And thank you @jdid, thanks for dropping by!