OSW: Johnnie Walker, Jr. Tribute

Just after I put the last OSW mix up, I found out about Johnnie Wilder, Jr.’s untimely passing.
He was 56. What better way than to take time out this Wednesday to pay tribute to the man….

Old School Wednesday : Johnnie Wilder Tribute.

Podcast/mix available here. Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – The Groove Line [Extended Version]
13 – Always And Forever
14 – The Star Of A Story
15 – Where Did I Go Wrong
16 – Sho ‘Nuff Must Be Luv
17 – Leavin’ For A Dream
18 – That’s The Way We’ll Always Say Goodnight

While most of these songs speak for themselves, there are tunes that keep the groove and are rarely heard such as Send Out For Sunshine and great tracks from the album Hot Property, such as One Night Tan, Razzle Dazzle, and Raise and Blaze. I would be remiss if I didn’t also feature tracks from the album Candles, like Turn Around, Posin’ Till Closin’, and the illustrious Where Did I Go Wrong?

It should also be noted that two of the more popular tracks often heard on Quiet Storm on a regular basis back in the day were written by Johnnie Wilder himself: Mind Blowing Decisions and Happiness Togetherness.

For a more comprehensive biography of the man, check out
Johnnie Wilder Jr’s Official Website. Special thanks to Trent for laying it down for us, and ms. alex for letting us know last Wednesday. Enjoy.
Enjoy!

12 Responses “OSW: Johnnie Walker, Jr. Tribute”

1. ms. alex
    24 May 2006 at 08:41

~ Right on time.

2. 24 May 2006 at 09:03

Ok…this started me off with a smile. I needed Groove Line. You just can’t frown when that’s on. Thanks Sunshine!!!

3. CoachMVP
    24 May 2006 at 09:35

The best of their time. Often underappreciated (is that a word?), but standing the test of time. Johnnie Wilder, Jr. left a mark that will never be forgotten. Silky smooth and passionate. We were blessed to be able to experience his voice. “Aint No Half Steppin” he gave us his all. Prayerfully he is singing with the angels. Thank you for dedicating a special OSW to his memory.
    Forever Black!!

4. 24 May 2006 at 12:44

Great representation of Heatwave’s best…I grew up idolizing this group. Too Hot To Handle to me is the quintessential 70’s R&B funk album…no song could go unplayed. While I would have loved to see Super Soul Sister on your list, I know you can’t have THEM all up there. LOL Central Heating/takes a beating/it’s alright/Everybody needs a little central heat in their lives… That was my jam…would have loved to hear that one too, but Send Out For Sunshine made up for it!

5. 24 May 2006 at 14:47

thanks for this list. i had no idea brotha had past. this one i’m listening to with a heavy heart. brotha was YOUNG, too.

6. 24 May 2006 at 17:41

“Send Out For Sunshine” always gives me a lift. “The Grooveline” reminds me of garage parties in the neighborhood (we did not have basements in my Southern California neighborhood).
    Wilder, Temperton, and crew made great music. Easily one of the most underappreciated groups of that era.
    I love the pairing of “Always and Forever” with “Star of a Story.” Two songs expressing the same emotion: The former in a pure, raw form. The latter in a romantic, lofty manner. Both equally effective.
    Great tribute, EJ.

7. Enigma
    24 May 2006 at 18:44

what the who what what!!! johnnie died? he survived that damn car accident to die early in his sleep!?! are u kidding me? i was supposed to go see them in concert that year. oh i am too upset. i can’t work. i need a moment. i used to have such a crush. o lawd! i must go home and listen to the last day of snow. wow! central heating does take a beating.

8. Enigma
    24 May 2006 at 18:51

oh my damn. how bout i just noticed the rb tribute. see how upset you made me. you could’ve called a sista in preparation. proud of you for incl songs from hot property and candles. i had their last album (can’t remember if it was an ep or lp). i thought i’d find it on the “official” website, but there doesn’t seem to be a discography.
    do you have all the files from hot property or just the ones you posted? i can’t remember if i have the cd or not. you know i got the vinyl.

9. MrMike
    25 May 2006 at 13:07

EJ Thanks for the “Heatwave” Tribute! My Favorite 70’s Band! Johnnie Wilder, Jr will be remembered – “ALWAYS AND FOREVER”

10. 25 May 2006 at 15:35

Star of a Story is one of my ALLTIME favorite songs… Heatwave’s version is the only version that counts!!! The tired ass George Benson version is BLECCH!!! LOL
    =)

11. Big Daddy
    25 May 2006 at 15:36

Very nice bruh! A DJ with a mind AND a heart. He did a lot of great acapella work as a member of the church of Christ that is largely unknown. The stuff he did with Joi Carr and ASAP is lucious.

12. 9 June 2006 at 11:05

Wow What have I been missing!!! Thanks for the update and the music! I’ve got such a smile on my face right now…Heatwave!?? Why you do that!!! I remember paying 3.99 for EW&F The way of the world on vinyl! Sign me groovin in Sweden!