OSW: To The Sun, Volume 3

It’s that time again.

Old School Wednesday : To The Sun, Volume 3.

[Podcast/mix available here. Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Alton McClain & Destiny – It Must Be Love
02 – Leon Ware – What’s Your Name?
03 – Patrice Rushen – Haven’t You Heard
04 – Dynasty – Check It Out
05 – BB & Q Band – Dreamer
06 – Slave Featuring Steve Arrington – Watching You
07 – Fatback Band – I Found Lovin’
08 – Lillo Thomas – You’re A Good Girl
09 – Evelyn Champagne King – Back To Love
10 – Shalamar – There It Is
11 – Donald Byrd & The Blackbyrds – Walking in Rhythm
12 – Johnny Hammond – Fantasy
13 – The Chimes – Love Comes To Mind
14 – Brass Construction – The Message (Inspiration)

I can’t remember the last time I heard It Must Be Love, so that song hyped me up. Leon’s track is one of my favorite ones off of LateNightTales. While Patrice’s cut is a bonafide classic, Dynasty’s track Check It Out (produced by Leon Sylvers III) is very underappreciated.

I Found Lovin’ is one of my favorite tracks from Fatback, which segues into Lillo and Evelyn Champagne King, both of which are graced by the touches of Kashif. I was pleasantly surprised by Shalamar’s There It Is while listening to music last week, because I had never heard the track before. Walking In Rhythm is quite possibly my favorite track in this mix, because it reminds me so much of living in the 70s and singing that song every single time it came on. It’s a perfect segue to Johnny Hammond’s Fantasy which is also from LateNightTales.

Fantasy is followed by The Chimes’ Love Comes To Mind, one of the warmest songs to come out in 1990. We cap the mix off with The Message (Inspiration).

Shoutouts to Qamar, CoachMVP and Thierno. Vibe with it.

23 Responses “OSW: To The Sun, Volume 3”

1. 25 April 2006 at 23:46

Whoa! So many artist I haven’t heard here. Thanks for sharing as usual.

2. james
    26 April 2006 at 02:09

Great stuff man…
    The Lilo is DOPE!!! Kashif, Paul Lawrence..those cats did their thing in the 80’s..Evelyn King….Dawg..I got part of this on
    warped analog..glad you bought it back..
    BB & Q Band..HOT!!! I miss these grooves…Thanks for bringing ’em back…You need to do this 24/7 kid!!!!
    PCE!

3. james
    26 April 2006 at 02:20

Hey –
    One more thing – Don’t know if you take requests but I see you like music produced by Nick Martinelli. Do you happen to have Raw Silk, “Do it To The Music?” Hey mixed the song back in 82? Anyway…I’ll sign off it let the
    other heads big you up!
    Later!!!

4. 26 April 2006 at 08:18

I like the way you’re representing Hush Productions. Lillo & Evelyn were just two of the stars on that underated label along with Freddie Jackson, Kashif, Eric Gable, Melba Moore, Me’Lisa Morgan and Paul Laurence who produced a slew of hits for them as well. I’m also feeling BB&Q’s Dreamer, Shalamar’s There It Is, and Johnny Hammond’s Fantasy.
    Nice Work!

5. 26 April 2006 at 09:57

Wow, Lilo Thomas. I was talking to X about him just a month or so ago.

6. Big Daddy
    26 April 2006 at 10:59

You are straight flexin’ son. You ought to be ashamed of yourself! You are so right about Dynasty. Anything you put up by BB&Q will bob my head, and errbody needs a little more…Brass…Construction that is! Good job!

7. ms. alex
    26 April 2006 at 11:20

~ Thanks for the Fatback and Brass C. They are new to me.
    ~ Forgotten about favorite is BBQ’s ‘Dreamer.’ I always thought the title song was ‘Dreamin’.’
    ~ Wow–forgot about ‘It Must Be Love’ too!
    ~Thanks for Slave..well thanks for everything.
    ~ I know you got some Sylvers and Tavares in your vinyls. Can u pull ’em out?

8. 26 April 2006 at 11:45

Thanks for the love over my way EJ. I now treat OSW like medicine since I don’t have the appreciation for R&B that was made in the 70s and 80s. I have always felt kinda bad about that, and you have helped me a lot. brace yourself, as I am about to put you and your OSW movement on blast…not that it would make a big difference around here.

9. Thierno
    26 April 2006 at 12:17

Thanks for the shoutout, Mr. DJ (I mean EJ – LOL). The Chimes… luv that song; hadn’t heard it before. Their ‘1-2-3’ was the jam during that same period, too, when THE ‘Soul II Soul’ sound was prevalent. Actually, I believe it was produced by Nelle Hopper (an architect of that sound).
    Peace

10. 26 April 2006 at 14:07

Love it. How have you been? Just what I need, a little more melody in my day…

11. 26 April 2006 at 21:19

Hi Dj.EJ!! :)

12. 26 April 2006 at 23:48

“There It Is” is one of several excellent songs off Shalamar’s 1982 album Friends. One can go deep into that disk and find several songs that sound like hits. “Help Me” and “I Don’t Want to Be the Last to Know” easily could have been singles. A must for Shalamar fans.
    Really liking “Fantasy” and “Love Comes To Mind.”
    Can’t go wrong with Ms. Rushen, Slave, Brass Construction(!), and anything touched by Kashif.
    Thanks for the shout! Right back atcha, Mr. DJ!

13. 27 April 2006 at 13:18

man, you diggin’ way too deep now. But it’s always good to hear from johnny hammond again!!!
    Dope!

14. 27 April 2006 at 13:28

I’m tired of your bomb ass OSWs. I hate you *LOL* But on the real, when can you put a brother on a Podcast? Holla back!

15. Jaydd
    27 April 2006 at 15:58

EJ: you hit me with that OSW track I forgot how much I loved – I found lovin – back in the day again. Thanks brother…

16. 28 April 2006 at 08:53

EJ…I simply love you for this…I had made a couple of mixtapes last month with some of these…but mayne you gave me even more to chew on…
    Why is Lilo Thomas’s song my theme song I play every morning LOL 😉

17. 28 April 2006 at 09:17

oh wait…I can remember singing along to “walking in Rhythm” when i was a kid too…I’m just cheezing right now at my desk…LOL

18. Jah_Luv
    28 April 2006 at 10:55

What’s good EJ? Great OSW mix! If I had a memory lane this long, I would be traveling down it at about 85mph.
    Question: Not sure if you got your hands on the Bilal leak, but do you know if Fantasy was the inspiration for Sorrow, Tears, and Blood?
    Peace and Blessings!

19. 28 April 2006 at 15:10

I really like the Fatback and Evelyn King song…

20. 30 April 2006 at 18:33

EJ, I’ve been a fan of yours for a minute! I’ve just been lurkin’ and enjoyin’, maxin’ and relaxin’, but somehow you peeped me out so I figured I better come and represent. Thanks for all of the memories and for all the new discoveries. And thanks for dropping by the spot. Means a lot. Hope you had a chance to check out “Transitions”, the first installment.
    I’ll be around…

21. 1 May 2006 at 11:15

I was thinking of doing Shalamar’s “There It Is” for a Boogie Friday post, that’s one of my fave tracks of theirs.
    Surprised you never heard it before though, their “Friends” album was a monster (I mean, huuuuuge) hit in the UK.

22. 2 May 2006 at 22:42

I have not heard that Fatback song in too, too long, thank you.

23. 11 May 2006 at 06:53

NOT LILLO THOMAS! I haven’t been blogging for a minute, but your site was one of the first visited and I get some Lilo Thomas…….your good!