OSW: To The Sun, Volume 2

Just coming out of bad internet issues at the crib, I’m glad to be back to life. I have a couple of mixes up my sleeve and some stories to tell this week, but in the meanwhile, let’s drop this.

Old School Wednesday : To The Sun, Volume 2.

[Podcast/mix available here. Click to play or right click-save as to download.]
Podcast coming soon. Watch for it.

01 – Nona Hendryx – Why Should I Cry?
02 – Grace Jones – I’m Not Perfect (But I’m Perfect For You)
03 – One Way – You Better Quit
04 – Cherelle – Fragile (Handle With Care)
05 – Yarbrough & Peoples – Guilty
06 – Alexander O’Neal – (What Can I Say) To Make You Love Me?
07 – D Train – Misunderstanding
08 – Con Funk Shun – California 1
09 – Wham – Everything She Wants
10 – Jermaine Stewart – Say It Again
11 – Deon Estus – Heaven Help Me
12 – Gap Band – I Found My Baby
13 – Brothers Johnson – Treasure
14 – Jermaine Jackson – You’re Supposed To Keep Your Love From Me

Special thanks to Qamar and CoachMVP for keeping me amused and in tune with the vibe that is Old School Wednesday, and special, special shoutout goes to Felton Pilate, one of the leaders of ConFunkShun, for inspiring me to put in California 1 in the mix.
Vibe with it.

16 Responses “OSW: To The Sun, Volume 2”

1. james madison
    19 April 2006 at 02:16

Good stuff. I have been peeping this site for a bit. Deon Estus..WHOA!! I thought I as the only cat that remembered him…
    Keep it up!

2. MoniMoni
    19 April 2006 at 07:42

Great mix this week. I’ve never heard California 1, but it has a nice groove. Jermaine Stewart’s Say It is great to. How ironic that I was singing Wham yesterday, thinking that I needed to pick up a greatest hits cd…music minds think alike I guess! Have a great day everyone!

3. Wayne
    19 April 2006 at 09:37

Ok…the Wham! song is a true classic. It didn’t get much better than that for them.
    The Nona Hendryx song. Superb choice to start out OSW.
    ConFunkShun! The Gap Band! Brothers Johnson!
    It’ll be a good Wednesday. :-) T’anks, EJF!

4. 19 April 2006 at 13:10

I miss the Gap Band.

5. Torri
    19 April 2006 at 15:38

Wow, you brought me back to middle school with Deon Estus and “Heaven Help Me”. I love the lyrics, “Take the pictures, take the windows, and the walls – Baby won’t you leave me my PEACE OF MIND.”
    Off to play it again for the 10th time in a row.
    Thanks EJ – Love Ya, Torri

6. CoachMVP
    19 April 2006 at 16:25

You pulled some things out that I had forgotten about. I started listening at 1230 this morning. You keep me inspired. “Guilty” you were jamming that your senior year….It was my undercover jam too. Thanks for continuing to take me back to a peaceful, happy time. Much respect Boss!!
    Forever BLACK!!!

7. Thierno
    19 April 2006 at 19:11

wassup EJ? Interesting combination. Particularly Wham! and Deon Estus…, more precisely George Michael, as he produced both tracks. Anyone know Deon’s whereabouts? Last time I heard his work was on Jon B’s first CD, on the track titled ‘Gone Before Light’.
    Thank U, EJ, as usual, 4 being in a class all by yourself.
    PeAcE

8. chica
    19 April 2006 at 21:48

EJ…”Why Should I Cry”…I thought I was the only one who loves that song! As always, thanks for Alex, Cherrelle, Jermaine…you are the best!

9. chica
    19 April 2006 at 22:01

P.S. Thank you for schooling me on “Heaven Help Me”. That song is beautiful. I always thought that was George Michael.

10. 19 April 2006 at 23:10

Nona and Grace back to back is too cool! Both give great scowls! LOL!
    Alex and Cherrelle cuts among my favourites by them (especially the Alex jam).
    Deon and George is a classic! Had not heard the Wham! track in a while. Sounds much better than I remembered.
    ConFunkShun… made me smile like a kid! Thanks for including this one!
    More Jermaine! More Jermaine! :-)
    Thanks for the shout out… you are most gracious.

11. 20 April 2006 at 00:53

*hides wham cd*
    I love that damn song.

12. Wilson
    20 April 2006 at 09:45

keep give us great music man. I try to get a copy of that Deon Estus. Can you help a brother out? oh yeah love that GRACE in my FACE

13. RDL
    20 April 2006 at 12:40

Thanks for my adding request, “Heaven Help Me.” Happy to see Nona and Grace on the list. Looking forward to the next Old School Wednesday. RDL

14. 20 April 2006 at 18:29

Nice.

15. 22 April 2006 at 22:38

High 5 for Deon Estus! Wow…that is from way back when! Love it…and the memories it brings up :)

16. Ozzie
    28 April 2006 at 18:10

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Deon Estus is so hard to find. I’ve searched everywhere. Great song, sad memories, heaven help me…thank you again. Deon and George on the same list? You know your music history!! I’ve bookmarked your web site. Amazing music. Peace. Ozzie