OSW: Glide

It’s been a busy, hectic week, so I had to do this on the fly….

Old School Wednesday : Glide

[Podcast/mix available here. Click to play or right click-save as to download.]

01 – Aurra – Make Up Your Mind
02 – Jerry Knight – Overnight Sensation
03 – Fatback – Gotta Get My Hands On Some (Money)
04 – Tom Browne – Thighs High
05 – Bill Summers & Summers Heat – Call It What You Want To
06 – Pleasure – Glide
07 – Donald Byrd – Love Has Come Around
08 – Surface – Falling In Love
09 – Michael Wycoff – Looking Up To You
10 – Minnie Riperton – Adventures In Paradise
11 – Deon Estus – Spell
12 – Heatwave – Sho’nuff Must Be Luv
13 – Deniece Williams & Johnny Mathis – Too Much, Too Little, Too Late
14 – Michael Henderson – Take Me I’m Yours

I won’t lie…everytime I hear Make Up Your Mind, I start playin’ my air guitar. I haven’t heard Spell in quite a while so that made my night. I can’t say enough about Donald Byrd and that’s why Love Has Come Around is in the mix. It’s all about the head-nodder cut from Michael Wycoff– I’m sure you know who sampled from this song. If you’re wondering about the song Falling In Love, it is indeed by the trio Surface. This was one of their first singles ever released (in 1983), and was a U.K. hit. Special daps to Qamar, KB, and the requestors Ronn and Ms. Alex. Enjoy.

18 Responses “OSW: Glide”

1. 5 April 2006 at 03:03

This reminds me… I have to get Minnie’s catalog.

2. ms. alex
    5 April 2006 at 09:08

~ EJ: I AM enjoying. I sqqquueeeallled with delight when I saw Fatback Band!!
    ~ Always loved Aurra, too, but Thighs High makes me lose my mind!! Oh, I feel weak……

3. ms. alex
    5 April 2006 at 09:27

~Awesome–U Can Call It What U Want (forgot ’bout that funky one!)

4. ms. alex
    5 April 2006 at 09:40

~Promise this is the last comment: Glide by Pleasure (hence, your title) was also another funky one.
    ~Waitin’ for the podcast now…. this has been..wonderful…

5. RDL
    5 April 2006 at 11:05

Thanks for including “Love Has Come Around.” Haven’t heard that song since my school daze.

6. 5 April 2006 at 12:14

Michael Henderson keeps poppin’ up in your radio blogs. I’m waiting to see if In The Night Time or Valentine Love will show up soon.

7. 5 April 2006 at 14:09

Yo EJ- What the deal? Hope all is well. Hold it down in Philly, I was just there this past weekend and Jim’s was off the hook.

8. 5 April 2006 at 15:45

EJ, another fantastic mix!
    Can’t get enough of Aurra, Henderson and Minnie. The Surface and Wycoff tracks are new to me… both wonderful.
    “Thighs High” still grooves! I think Janet sampled that for a sweet remix of “Young Love” (now I gotta go look for that cut).
    “Spell” remains a favourite. Thanks for including this one!

9. 5 April 2006 at 20:41

@J: a Minnie podcast, perhaps?
    @Alex: glad you like it. the podcast has arrived…
    @RDL: I hadn’t heard that in a good while. love that cut, thanks for stopping by…
    @Nikki: don’t worry. i think i have us carried for the month.
    @TC: get outta town! man, i haven’t heard from you in a while. what’s goin on witcha?
    @Qamar: i’ve been singing “Love Has Come Around” and “Spell” all day.

10. 6 April 2006 at 01:46

Minnie belting out “Adventures” after my iPod battery died = hot-damm! And FatBack in the mix too! Thanx Papi.

11. Big Daddy
    6 April 2006 at 06:01

Go on son! You never cease to surprise and amaze. You gotta know some things to even be aware of Pleasure. I wanna be like you when I grow up!

12. 6 April 2006 at 16:17

dang ej you a travellin fool! take me with you! you gonna be in town for martin luther’s live recording!? :)

13. CoachMVP
    6 April 2006 at 17:41

I tell you. When I think I know you, you amaze me again. It’s been like that since what….’84 or ’85. Wonderful! Wonderful! You know that’s Zhane’s “Hey, Mr. DJ” that sampled Michael’s song. I’m gonna dig deeper into the 45’s and 33’s this week. Props to the Dean of Old School. Told ya those Wilder brothers were dangerous!!! Peace from Mob-Town!

14. CoachMVP
    6 April 2006 at 18:10

Now I’m playing this @ da hotel. My “Cultured” guests love it. It helps me have a good sales day. U da MAN!

15. 7 April 2006 at 07:37

this list is getting me through the day today!

16. 7 April 2006 at 21:26

THIGHS HIGH!!!!
    *grip ya hips and move!!!*
    That is my SHHHHHIIIT.
    I love you.

17. 9 April 2006 at 18:24

I was just bumpin some Donald Byrd in the car… yesterday… Places and Spaces I’ve been…. along with Minnie’s track… “Flowers” or bka Les Fleurs….

18. Big Daddy
    11 April 2006 at 12:09

Man, I been on the fly and am just now able to listen to the podcast. Where did you get this version of “Make UP Your Mind?!?!?! This song is part of my iPod basic rotation so I hear it all the time, but I’ve NEVER heard this version. Any other Aurra or Slave 12 inch or remixes? Got me geeked son!!