OSW: Back In The Day, Volume 3

Let’s do it again.

Old School Wednesday : Back In The Day, Volume 3.

01 – Skyy – Call Me
02 – Quincy Jones – Ai No Corrida
03 – Rufus – Do You Love What You Feel?
04 – Cheryl Lynn – Shake It Up Tonight
05 – Central Line – Walking Into Sunshine
06 – Patti Austin – Do You Love Me?
07 – Evelyn Champagne King – Betcha She Don’t Love You
08 – Mico Wave – Instant Replay
09 – Isley Brothers – Harvest For The World
10 – Kenny Loggins – Heart To Heart
11 – Earth, Wind & Fire – Side By Side
12 – The Sylvers – I Wish That I Could Talk To You
13 – El Debarge – Someone
14 – Stacy Lattisaw – Every Drop Of Your Love

We’ve got Quincy Jones production here three times, with Do You Love What You Feel, Ai No Corrida and Do You Love Me? We have a vocoder in use with Instant Replay. There’s groovin’ all over the place with Betcha She Don’t Love You, Shake It Up Tonight, Call Me, and Walking Into Sunshine. And of course, there’s strong singing with Harvest Of The World, Heart To Heart, and Side By Side. I Wish That I Could Talk To You and Someone is reminiscent of the youth of the 80s (which I can definitely identify with), while Every Drop Of You Love is one of the best releases Stacy Lattisaw has graced us with.

Bonus round. 1. Identify a song which samples the cut Walking Into Sunshine; 2. Who sings co-lead on Heart To Heart?

Special daps to CoachMVP, Wayne, and Gwendolina, who are killing me with their musical prowess. Enjoy.

25 Responses “OSW: Back In The Day, Volume 3”

1. CoachMVP
    22 February 2006 at 00:46

Straight LLCoolJ…..Jingling Baby….go ‘head baby……When you first walked in I ain’t know what to thing…..Cause you grabbed the microphone like yo booty don’t stink……CLASSIC!! Thanks for the props. Truly representing the Dirty 30. Don’t forget them Atmore roots….Forever BLACK I AM!

2. 22 February 2006 at 00:54

The Sylvers…on EJFlavors.com…twice in two months? The late Edmund is smiling somewhere right about now.
    And “Ai No Corrida.”
    OH
    MY
    GAWD!!
    It was the first single from “The Dude” and was soon eclipsed by the James Ingram-led monsters “Just Once” and “One Hundred Ways.”

3. chica
    22 February 2006 at 07:58

EJ…Skyy? I’m convinced that you can read minds! You just made my week! I’m a little ashamed to admit that I didn’t know the title of the “Ai No Corrida.”

4. Thierno
    22 February 2006 at 09:07

Mico Wave??? Now, talk about a blast from the past. I remember his interview with Donnie Simpson on Video Soul when he first released this song.
    And the ever under-rated El Debarge. I wish he, too, would record again.
    Thanks EJ. These tracks do indeed bring back lots of fond memories.
    Peace

5. 22 February 2006 at 09:31

With this lovin’ I dedicate to you
    For believing in me, I will make you mine
    Side by side

My Mom played that song to death on from their Powerlight album.

6. Jah_Luv
    22 February 2006 at 09:44

What’s going on EJ
    Great mix this week!!
    Not sure about that sample question, that’s Michael McDonald with Kenny Loggins…this joint is rockin!
    Peace and Blessings!

7. Jah_Luv
    22 February 2006 at 10:04

WAIT! I take that back…. Will Smith used that sample for Miami!
    Peace and Blessings!

8. 22 February 2006 at 10:31

I’ll write something later…
    I’m stuck on that d@mn Kenny Loggins track!
    “Does anything last forever…”

9. ms. alex
    22 February 2006 at 10:38

Yeaaah…Side by Side by EWF. ‘Nuf Said!

10. 22 February 2006 at 12:45

OK, I’m breathing again. Dag, you brought back 1986 with El DeBarge’s “Someone.” Thanks to Victor because otherwise I’d be straight hatin on you! 😀
    Bonus: 1. LL’s Jingin’ Baby 2. Them dudes from Mr. Mister whose names I forget. Gonna pull out Welcome to the Real World now.

11. 22 February 2006 at 13:11

Anytime you put the Sylvers on the list, you know I’m gonna be down. Wish That I Could Talk To You was one of my favorites…many don’t know that before Edmund and Foster sang lead on alot of the Sylvers’ hits, that Ricky was their lead. That’s him taking the lead vocals on this one…pure gold. Love it!
    My afternoon just got THAT much better. Thanks EJ! :-)

12. 22 February 2006 at 13:34

Nina.
    I hate to contradict, BUT…on “Wish That I Could Talk to You” it is Leon taking lead on the verses and Edmund handling vocals on the chorus. Ricky did some vocal work on “Fool’s Paradise” (it’s him exclaiming “I’m high society”), but ’tis the legendary Leon and the late Edmund on “Wish.”
    Signed,
    Sylvers Expert
    Santa Barbie Cali.

13. 22 February 2006 at 20:11

Dang man…you did it AGAIN???!!!!

14. MoniMoni
    22 February 2006 at 20:31

That is Michael McDonald on co-lead on Heart to Heart. My mom used to play that one, wore it out!
    EJ, baby if you can find a song by the Sylvers called “Now I Want You”…it was on the Something Special Album (wow, what a strange word now, album). Foster sand the lead on that one, and as a young girl I always felt that that song was about him singing it to me. Honey that would mean everything if you can find it.
    Another Sylvers request…New Horizons. LOVE THAT SONG!
    I must say again, the selections this week are fantastic. I look forward to this like a kid in a candy store. :)

15. Wayne
    22 February 2006 at 22:59

“Now I Want You?” Talk about a KA-HORNY song!
    But…I have it. EJ, I’ll forward to you with “Volume 3.”
    And PS: I double that “New Horizon” request. From 1977, it is an uplifting song that has helped get me through a rough patch or two.

16. 23 February 2006 at 09:28

@CoachMVP, @Wayne, your support is tremendous. Keep it comin’. I don’t care if they’re boring, or corny, they all invoke memories. That’s all that matters.
    @Thierno…glad I’m not the only one who remembers Mico Wave!
    @Todd, @KB, if we only had videotapes of what actually went on when you guys were growing up, especially with Todd being in a Jheri Curl, and KB in the pre-mackin’ days….
    @Nina, @Moni Moni, you got it. Mo’ Sylvers coming up soon.
    @Berry, glad to see you’re still around. I’ll keep it comin’.
    @Nikki, I LOVE this album. Forreal.
    @Jah Luv – I think you had it the first time. 😉
    @Chica, I’m glad I could make your day.

17. 23 February 2006 at 09:29

You took me straight back to the days when I had no bills: Betcha She Don’t Love You, Do You Love What You Feel? Don’t hurt ’em, Music Man. LOL

18. 23 February 2006 at 19:30

For Nina & Moni Moni:
    Don’t know if you’ve seen this site yet, but take a look at these two clips.
    Talk about bringing invoking memories!!

19. 24 February 2006 at 01:49

memories man, memories.
    back in Nigeria (late 80s) we had this break-dancing competition sponsored by a cigarette company *sic* (John Player). My friend won the first regional heat breaking to “Call Me”. bad tune (or choon as we say in London).
    When we weren’t body popping we had honeys against the wall dancing to ray parker jr’s “i dont think that men should sleep alone”. lol the life of young boys. ahh back in the day …

20. 24 February 2006 at 04:06

I got home from work late and in the WORST mood of any negro on the planet and I just linked your blog from another site and Skyy’s “Call Me” completely put me in a happy place. THANK YOU THANK YOU

21. 24 February 2006 at 15:44

EJ, the super fly DJ!
    “Side by Side” made me smile. Love that song.
    And more Sylvers to come?!?! Dayum! Can’t wait! Maybe a little “Hotline” at some time?

22. MoniMoni
    25 February 2006 at 08:18

“Now I Want You?” Talk about a KA-HORNY song!
    Yes, Wayne, I know it’s corny..but it’s one that stays in my memory as I was a child back then. *sigh* Can a sista keep a memory?

23. Wayne
    25 February 2006 at 13:49

Moni-
    I was just tellin’ EJ yesterday that I actually listened to that song alot when I had the LP. Sorry for the comment. No disrespect intended.
    As I mentioned above, I have the song digitally and am sending to Mr. Flavors, owner and proprietor of Old School Wednesdays.
    “I used to play with my cowboy guns
    but girl since you came along
    playin’ cowboys ain’t no fun…
    Cuz now I want you”
    Keep it goin’ strong!

24. MoniMoni
    25 February 2006 at 18:41

Wayne..
    Just by adding that paragraph…all is forgiven! :)
    I have a question. My friends and I were discussing music and we were trying to recall a certain hit from back in tha day. I don’t remember who sang it, but here are some of the lyrics:
    Girl, the world is changing fast,
    it’s getting harder and harder to tell if love will last..
    You, your’e trying hard to be
    a liberated lady with a destiny…
    That’s it. We go dead right after that. But we think the song is called “All My Love”. WHO SINGS THIS???!!! We are going crazy trying to find out. We need to purchase it on Amazon if anyone knows.

25. 20 May 2006 at 21:40

TONS AND TONS OF SOUL CONCERT DVDs!!!