OSW: Winter Warmup, Volume I

I don’t know where you live, but down here it’s freezing. I’m under the covers right now.

Old
School Wednesday: Winter Warmup, Volume 1.

01 – Isley Jasper Isley – 8th Wonder Of The World
02 – The Brothers Johnson – Runnin’ for Your Lovin’
03 – The O’Jays – Message In Our Music
04 – Earth, Wind & Fire – September
05 – T.S. Monk – Bon Bon Vie
06 – Donald Byrd – Lansanna’s Priestess
07 – Swing Out Sister – Everyday Crime
08 – The Family – Desire
09 – Minnie Riperton – Wouldn’t Matter Where You Are
10 – Herb Alpert – Pillow
11 – Bobby Ross Avila – La La Love
12 – Mica Paris – Truth & Honesty
13 – Loose Ends – Easier Said Than Done
14 – Johnny Gill – Just Another Lonely Night
15 – Con Funk Shun – (Let Me Put) Love on Your Mind

I was a big fan of Different Drummer, which is why I pulled 8th Wonder Of The World out. Grant and I think alike, which is why we both dropped Bon Bon Vie. I’m still on the Mizell tip, which is why the instrumental Lansanna’s Priestess was dropped. (Let Me Put) Love On Your Mind is one of my favorite cuts from Con Funk Shun. The rock and soul ballad strikes home with me. I even managed to throw in some Minnie Riperton with a wonderful track, Wouldn’t Matter Where You Are, to compliment The Family’s Desire.

I then threw in
some Mica Paris, Swing Out Sister and Loose Ends to give England its due, and I even threw in Bobby Ross Avila, since someone conjured up La La Love.

Enjoy.

16 Responses “OSW: Winter Warmup, Volume I”

1. 7 December 2005 at 02:57

you know i went straight to ‘the family’ right? i still gotta cop that whole joint. this is definitely good for a warm up (wink)

2. 7 December 2005 at 07:49

It may be cold outside…but this is hot EJ!!!! 😉
    thanks for a morning warmup LOL…the super must have turned the heat off…but I’m about to warm it it!

3. 7 December 2005 at 08:18

Thanks for droppin by EJ. You know I had to reciprocate, although I would have stopped by anyway. I know what time it is come Wednesday morning! Con-Funk-Shun is also one of my favorite groups. In fact I just had a convo with my wife hoping I would get to experience true musicianship again B4 I expire. I was hoping Mint Condition would spark a renaissance of live instrumentation that existed in the 70�s with groups like Cameo, The Commodores, Con-Funk-Shun, Earth, Wind & Fire, etc. Kinda tired of these cookie cutter R&B groups��.A man can dream can�t he?
    Nice list as always, BTW, It�s nice and warm down here in Florida.
    Peace & Blessings
    GrantLove

4. 7 December 2005 at 09:08

Life is sooo good when there are OSWs to look forward to. LOL Thanks for putting it down once again, music man. 😉

5. 7 December 2005 at 10:11

The Flyte Tyme groupie had to find a way to slip in a Jam & Lewis production in there. Pure heat. Gotta work on mine.

6. 7 December 2005 at 10:14

Whoa, I haven’t heard T.S. Monk in a long time.

7. Lesley
    7 December 2005 at 15:18

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Herb Alpert song. But I have 1 request…can you post Herb’s song “Our Song” from the same CD. I danced to it at my wedding and I can’t find the CD in stores. Thanks.

8. Thierno
    7 December 2005 at 22:58

EJ has done it again!!! Yo, I think of myself as very informed in music. But it’s people like you who remind me, every once in a while, that there is a whole lot more I don’t know. Thanks for educating while entertaining, man. I only knew tracks 4 & 14. The rest are great, too.
    I really like that Herb Alpert song. Could it be that Jam/ Lewis were also pioneers in the ‘Smooth Jazz’ format? LOL
    Peace,
    Thierno

9. 8 December 2005 at 09:21

Another classic mix. You didn’t throw Johnny Gill in there…Hell to the naw…….MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY, MY

10. 8 December 2005 at 09:55

I DIG that Brothers Johnson cut. Lovely
    And you can never go wrong with Donald Byrd..
    But of course, he has to throw in my high school crush song by Bobby Ross Avila. Ha ha ha ha
    Classic set!

11. 10 December 2005 at 10:20

You’re right, it’s cold, but I won’t tell you where I am right now. This was a good enough radio blog to get me thinking about going to tower today.

12. Ariya
    10 December 2005 at 22:43

Wheee!!!! Mica Paris and Swing Out Sister! Nice E.J. :)

13. 14 December 2005 at 00:39

September makes you think of Winter?

14. 14 December 2005 at 05:57

No. September kept me warm on a cold winter day.

15. Qamar
    19 December 2005 at 13:43

Another wonderful mix!
    These are some great recordings. There is a longing in a lot of these tracks that tugs at the heart… yet they also convey a sense of hope.
    The Minnie track is spectacular. T.S. Monk made me smile. Mica, Mica, Mica… never can get enough of her!

16. 27 December 2005 at 13:18

Checking in for my dose of good sounds. Thanks again!