OSW: The Thanksgiving Mix, 2005

I’ll be playing this around my relatives all weekend, while I go by each of their
houses and eat their food.

Old
School Wednesday: Thanksgiving Mix, 2005.

01 – The Brothers Johnson – Light up the Night. Produced by Quincy Jones.
02 – Five Special – Why Leave Us Alone.
03 – The Jacksons – Everybody.
Special thanks to KB
for dropping this to me when I couldn’t find it.
04 – Stephanie Mills – Put Your Body In It.
05 – Val Young – Seduction (Extended).
Written and produced by Rick James.
06 – Patrice Rushen – Haven’t You Heard. The all-time classic.
07 – Chaka Khan – Move Me No Mountain.
08 – Marvin Gaye – Turn On Some Music. All instruments and vocals
by the man himself, Marvin.
09 – Alexander O’Neal – Love Makes No Sense.
10 – Ramsey Lewis – Sun Goddess.
11 – The Main Ingredient – Everybody Plays the Fool.
12 – Love Unlimited – Gotta Be Where You Are.
13 – The Isley Brothers – For the Love of You.
14 – Anita Baker – Angel.

15 – Deniece Williams – It’s Gonna Take a Miracle.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

18 Responses “OSW: The Thanksgiving Mix, 2005”

1. 23 November 2005 at 10:12

I’m gonna be bumpin’ that Jackson cut for dayz!
    Oh God.. Val Young… I… remember… Somebody tell big homie she ain’t Ricky J? Ha ha ha ha. I thought this was done by the Mary Jane Girls.
    I… LOVE… RAMSEY LEWIS!!!!
    I… LOVE… LOVE UNLIMITED
    Throw in that Anita Baker and it’s the best Thanksgiving EVER…

2. 23 November 2005 at 10:46

MicJack was at his best right before he went solo & got all “extra-centric” on us.
    That Marvin Gaye cut is a hard to find gem.
    Any Patrice Rushen is a good touch.
    Is that Chapter 8 Anita I hear….Damn man you do your thangy thang with the throwbacks..
    I wanna be like EJ when I grow up…LOL
    Peace & Blessings

3. 23 November 2005 at 10:53

Oh snap, Anita Baker’s Angel. That song holds some good memories for me.

4. Jah_Luv
    23 November 2005 at 11:00

Great mix this week as usual! I love Chaka Khan’s voice!
    Everyone have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!
    Peace and Blessings!

5. 23 November 2005 at 12:40

Lovin’ it! That Patrice Rushen song — hasn’t someone turned it into a gospel song?? Anybody know?
    Thanks for another awesome mix EJ!

6. Qamar
    23 November 2005 at 13:36

Great stuff!
    J5 cut is sweet. Classic Anita (actually, is there anything she did that isn’t “classic?”). Niecy?!?!? Damn, she sounds wonderful.
    Patrice Rushen is just amazing! (damn, am I gushing today?).
    Love the Brothers Johnson cut.
    EJ, ever heard of Passage? It was a group Louis Johnson put together and they released an album in 1981 that was primarily a “gospel” album. But it had a killer dance cut called “Power” that got some club play plus another song called “I See the Light” that sounds like it came off a Brothers Johnson release.

7. 23 November 2005 at 15:11

dang E Jizzy…Ima be playing this while I baste my bird…I know this will inspire me to change my radio blog LOL
    Happy Turkey Day…I can’t wait to eat LOL

8. 23 November 2005 at 17:10

Because of you I’ll be listening to Triumph all weekend. Somebody tell AB that it’s Kirk Franklin who sampled that Patrice Rushen song. How did you know I wanted to throw that in an OSW? I’m telling ya’ll EJ is scary sometimes. He’d probably just tell me “Great minds” like he always does.
    He forgot to mention that “Angel” is dedicated to brothas who like to keep their house clean! [/inside joke]

9. 25 November 2005 at 12:25

Happy Thanksgiving Weekend DJ Swole! 😉
    I swear I’m gonna make it down to the D.I.C. one of these days. When I do, I’ll actually dance in front of other people. Promise.

10. 25 November 2005 at 20:09

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Have a great weekend!

11. 25 November 2005 at 22:00

Happy Thanksgiving to you EJ! #’s 14 and 15 are the jams!

12. 25 November 2005 at 23:56

@Todd, @Grant: it’s all about you two, you guys do it all the time, and I just gotta keep up, forreal.
    @Nikki, @Jah_Luv: I got more for you, wait and see.
    @AB, I think KB got you this go around. Glad you’re enjoying it.
    @KB, you crazy. @Ronn: I’m gonna hold you to it!, @E to the Dwidge, same to you! @Cheryl: you know I got you covered! Happy Post-TG to you too.

13. chica
    26 November 2005 at 17:45

Thanks EJ! I’ve not heard that version of “Love Makes No Sense.”I hope that you enjoyed your holidays.

14. 27 November 2005 at 12:46

ooh! ooOOOh!! The Jacksons!!! 😀
    I hope you had a stuffed thanksgiving!! I’m still having fun :)

15. 28 November 2005 at 15:18

This is an excellent mix of songs. I had to resist throwing a Chaka song when I was putting together The Quiet Storm – Volume 2. Thanks for all the inspiration.

16. 28 November 2005 at 18:26

This is one slammin’ mix! I hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving and all that food! :)

17. 29 November 2005 at 10:33

Wondering how much turkey EJ really ate. LOL Hope your holiday was spiffy. *Off to place the vibe into rotation*

18. Big Daddy