OSW: Autumnal Equinox, Volume 2

I keep saying I’m going to get into the swing of things, but I’m mostly just relaxing these days. I’m behind on my reading, and need more sleep, but I’ve got time for the music. Here we go…..

Old
School Wednesday: Autumnal Equinox, Volume 2.

01 – Confunkshun – Straight From The Heart
02 – Anita Baker – Will You Be Mine?
03 – The Isley Brothers – Groove With You
04 – Chante Moore – Wey U
05 – Angel Grant – Kisses Luv Lips
06 – Bill Withers – Lovely Day
07 – Marvin Gaye – Heavy Love Affair
08 – Donald Byrd – Wind Parade
09 – The Main Ingredient – Happiness Is Just Around the Bend
10 – Boz Scaggs – Lowdown
11 – Slave – Wait For Me
12 – Aurra – Who Are You?
13 – Leo’s Sunshipp – Give Me The Sunshine
14 – Stevie Wonder – Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)

While I personally think the whole selection is great, I’ve definitely been into Leo’s Sunshipp’s track, Give Me The Sunshine, which you can get from Midnight Soul, Volume 2, as well as We Need Each Other, which is what I picked up last weekend.
Wind Parade is from Mizell, which is a Mizell Brothers compilation which I’ve constantly been rotating. If you’re a fan of Donand Byrd and Bobbi Humphrey, I’d advise you to pick the CD up. Qamar got me into Slave, so I’ve been rotating Show Time/Visions Of The Lite this week. Then there’s Aurra’s Who Are You, which Fresh! got me into, and…well, as you can tell, I could go on and on about this music.

Hope you enjoy it.

15 Responses “OSW: Autumnal Equinox, Volume 2”

1. Berry
    30 November 2005 at 01:21

oooo…reminds me of couples only at the skating rink back in the day 😉

2. 30 November 2005 at 09:56

Will You Be Mine… One of my favorite songs of all time, boy!!!
    Donald Byrd, b!tches…
    That Angel Grant cut is evil. I have to sample that…
    Boz Scaggs? Always…
    I’ve never been a big fan of “Superwoman” by Stevie, but “Where Were You When I Needed You” tagged at the end of the song is incredible.

3. 30 November 2005 at 10:47

@Berry: LOL! Never thought about it that way! Glad you like it!
    @Todd: I had to actually go back and look at the Angel Grant CD and it turns out that doesn’t fit the technical definition of old school. Still good stuff though, especially considering Terry Lewis is on bass.

4. 30 November 2005 at 14:44

EJ, What can I say man, Your collection impresses me week to week. I thought I dug pretty deep.
    Me, you & Todd need to get together to do the Ultimate samples session.
    …I had that Donald Byrd joint on my next “Sampled Originals” Playlist… You beat me to it man!!
    …I thought I was the only one who was up on Leo’s Sunshipp..Their instrumentals are incredible.
    …Aurra, Nice pick…Salsoul’s roster was incredibly underated, Salsoul Orchestra, Double Exposure, Anthony White, Aurra, Eddie Holman, Love Commitee, Whew!!! I’m gonna have to do that as a playlist….Holla!!
    Peace & Love

5. GrantLove Music
  • Thierno
    30 November 2005 at 14:53

Hi EJ. Another Good set from u. Without asking u 2 divulge inside info, what are the criteria for ‘old skool’?
    That Chant� Moore track is one of BabyFace’s best compositions. And Angel Grant was such an underrated act.
    Peace,
    Thierno

• 30 November 2005 at 15:12

*does my Anita Baker impersonation, rocking sided to side and flailing arms*

• Qamar
    30 November 2005 at 17:49

Loving this one!
    Slave (always a favorite!), Aurra, the very under-appreciated Chante Moore, Stevie!
    Thanks again, EJ.

• 1 December 2005 at 03:32

dang EJ you did it this time…Anita Baker, Chante Moore…Marvin Gaye *swoon*
    lol!! Have a great week and weekend!

• 5 December 2005 at 16:32

Bro, how do you do it? What a great compilation. Thanks as always.

• 6 December 2005 at 23:59

@Grant, all I wanna do when I grow up is be like you. Thanks, man.
    @Thierno – in 10 words or less, old school Wednesday is anything 10 years old or older. I broke that rule with Angel, but the flow was already there and it would have required me to change the radio blog, and I wasn’t willing to do that. You will see that VERY rarely.
    *pulls candles away from Nikki…LOL*
    @Qamar – I try to do it every week. You keep me on my toes each and every time.
    @ceecee – you know how we do.
    @J – it’s definitely a labor of love.

• shawn
    5 January 2006 at 08:58

http://www.myspace.com/chalantlev guess who

• 5 January 2006 at 09:03

hott stuff i like the music happy new year and much respect i just put up a new video on my site if you care to look

• 5 January 2006 at 09:04

• 12 April 2006 at 13:40

Thanks for having me on the list!!
    Felton Pilate
    ConFunkShun

• 18 April 2006 at 12:16

hey, if you want soul have a listen to Felton Pilate’s new album “Nothing but love spoken here”, it’s filled with soft smooth ballads. Maybe you already knew, but Felton used to be a member of ConFunkShun (and still is?)! There are a lot of good songs on his new solo album, “Be my baby” is my personal favorite. Check out his website to find out more about him: http://www.feltonpilate.com

• About EJ