OSW: Loves, Lies, and Promises

I had a full weekend, and that’s why I’ve been incognito. I’ve been enjoying my
vacation instead of dropping my in-rotation and a Baker’s Dozen talking about
how much fun I had this weekend, my travellng and my brunch with some awesome
people from all over the place. Instead, I just relaxed, hung out, and of course,
had my headphones on during my chill-out period.

After I compiled the sequence, I had a hard time deciding on a description for
this playlist. Luckily, KB came
to my rescue. He saw the tracklisting and thought that the name below was appropriate:
Who am I to disagree?

Old
School Wednesday: Loves, Lies, and Promises.

01 – Jevetta Steele – Calling You,
which Nikki
mentioned two weeks ago, so I pulled it out. Featured in the movie Baghdad Cafe.
02 – Stevie Wonder – Love’s in Need of Love Today
, which was demanded
by Yolanda
and blessed by Bomani.
03 – Rufus & Chaka Khan – Stay
. From 1978’s
Street
Player
04 – The Brothers Johnson – I’ll Be Good to You
. From 1976. George Johnson
was dating several women and the situation was getting out out of hand, especially
around the holidays. When he decided to commit to one, he wrote the song I’ll
Be Good to You, with family friend Senora Sam adding lyrics. Produced by Quincy
Jones.
05 – Lalah Hathaway – Smile
. From 1990. Russell Ferrante (from Yellowjackets)
had a hand in this tune. From Lalah
Hathaway
06 – Deja – That’s Where You’ll Find Me
. I have to hand it to Qamar
for his hand in this one. Very underappreciated tune, co-written and
released in 1988 with Monte Moir.
07 – Stephanie Mills – What Cha Gonna Do With My Lovin’
. Sister
Outsider
dropped this one to me. I’ll tip my hat to her,
when I purchase a new one.
08 – Earth, Wind & Fire – Fantasy
. From All N’ All. I don’t think
I can say enough about this track.
09 – Patti Austin – Big Bad World
. From 1985’s Gettin’
Away With Murder
. This track is accentuated with Chaka Khan,
Jocelyn Brown, and Luther Vandross.
10 – Kiss the Sky – What Does It Take?
A Jaki Graham and Paul Hardcastle
collaboration.
11 – D-Influence – Journey.
From their debut album Good
4 We
. One of my favorite cuts from that CD. Considering that
I can listen to that CD from start to finish, that’s saying quite a bit.
12 – Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam – Lost In Emotion
. Smash hit from 1987.
13 – Intro – Anything for You
. From their eponymous
album
14 – Johnny Gill – Never Know Love
. Unreleased track from Johnny’s album
Johnny
Gill
15 – Stephanie Mills – (You’re Puttin’) A Rush On Me
. Hit from the 1987
release If
I Were Your Woman
16 – Christopher Williams – Every Little Thing U Do.
From Changes.

I’d like to give special thanks to my sister, LDF, who assured me
that this is the first thing she’s going to listen to today, since it’s her birthday
and all. Happy birthday, Sis. Much love. Everyone, groove it forward.

18 Responses “OSW: Loves, Lies, and Promises”

1. 12 October 2005 at 08:25

Oh snap, I haven’t heard Monte Moir’s name in ages. He was the Caucasian dude in the group The Time.

2. 12 October 2005 at 09:33

Every Little Thing you Do…the remix was so hot, I would get goosebumps when the beat would start.
    Man, that was a good album. He did have some amazing pipes. Even though most of us girls just drooled over his “prety ricky-ness.” Not me though. I abstained.

3. 12 October 2005 at 09:45

Stephanie Mills…..a name I haven’t heard in quite some time. I’ve always like that song. Now, let me get my listen on. Helps me to ignore some people at work. LOL

4. Berry
    12 October 2005 at 10:18

oooooweeeee, I am ready for this one (rubbing my hands together) Glad you have a nice time this weekend. Glad you unplugged for while…it’s good for the soul. Be blessed :-)

5. 12 October 2005 at 12:30

***the man stands speechless***

6. 12 October 2005 at 12:40

A few things I forgot to mention last night when we chattin about this OSW:
    I was just listening to EWF’s “Fantasy” on Sunday. It led to me buying two of their complilation albums online. Killer track.
    We used to play with Stephanie Mills when we were kids. Her best friend used to live next door to my cousin. This was around the time she was in The Wiz. Yeah I go back like that.
    Christopher Williams… I never liked you anyway, pretty mutha! 😉

7. Qamar
    12 October 2005 at 13:01

Love the Rufus/Chaka track. Ms. Badu does a decent cover of it on her “Live” cd.
    That Johnny Gill cut should have been a hit.
    Kiss the Sky!?!? Ha! Man… you have a wickedly gifted ear! I wish they kept that concept going for a few more cds. See, now I gotta go digging through my collection so I can find their stuff to play later. :-)

8. 12 October 2005 at 23:27

Like Nikki,
    I’m partial to the remix of Christopher Williams’ “Every Little Thing You Do” remix, that used Gang Starr’s “DWYCK” beat.
    Also another nice call on D-Influence. I need to pull out Good 4 We again.

9. 13 October 2005 at 08:15

Yeah, Christopher sure has some pipes on him! I was looking through my old school collection and there was one lady i played and she blew me away
    Alyson Williams-I Need Your Loving. Wow, hot!

10. 13 October 2005 at 09:10

ok, so i admit that many of the songs on this list i am not familiar with and i am glad i have come across your blog so now i will get the chance to be introduced to some pieces of music that may or may not have been hits or great hits at that, but will be a change from this mess they call music today.
    do not get me wrong though, there are some great artists and singles coming out, but i have been on an oldies kick lately so this is just what the doctor ordered!
    thanks man …

11. Jah_Luv
    13 October 2005 at 15:00

Take 6 did a pretty good cover of the Stevie joint, but nothing like the orginal. Great mix this week!
    Peace and Blessings!

12. 14 October 2005 at 08:31

Ahhhh… Brothers Johnson, Lalah, Stephanie … love em all. Yup, I’m back at work and I will be listening to this allll day long.
    Good lookin out, my friend. *pounds*

13. 14 October 2005 at 13:08

It’s a damn shame when I end up listening to OSW on a Friday. *smh* But I see it’s worth it, since my song finally made it on to the list. What a sistah gotta do these days to get some love. *sigh*
    Enjoy the weekend, music man.

14. 14 October 2005 at 18:49

I’m LOVING this radio blog. *hugs* I love you EJ! Your music choices seem to uplift me….moodwise. Nothing like an OSW picker upper! *smile*

15. 14 October 2005 at 23:52

oohhh EJ…I needed some Intro in my life LOL
    Love these OSWs!!!!!!
    Smooch!

16. 15 October 2005 at 08:41

@Nikki – yeah, Monte was the man. Played killer keyboards too. Had more stuff up his sleeve too. I’ll be putting that in future OSWs.
    @RPM – abstinence makes the heart grow fonder, or makes people agressive while driving. I’m jus’ sayin’.
    @Carla – thank Sister Outsider for that one. She laced it up.
    @Berry – thanks! Trying to be as mellow as I can.
    @Todd – wake up, man! Wake up!
    @KB – you played with Steph? Check you out!
    @Qamar – I’m this close to purchasing Millenium Skyway.
    @Del – I can’t say enough about D-Influence. Considering I own all of their albums and was devestated when they took a course correction, I’m still trying to recover.
    @Nneka – I have her first album too. 😉
    @Mashawn – no problem! Music is universal.
    @Jah_Luv – thanks!
    @Will – *pounds back*
    @Yolie, @Brown Sugar, @DJ Diva – you know I’ve got your backs,right?

17. 15 October 2005 at 12:54

OSW has become my official Wednesday workday soundtrack.
    Jevetta Steele – “Calling You” – She comes from a truly singing family. I have versions of “Calling You” by Patti Austin, George Benson, and Natalie Cole. All very good but the original is very special.
    Lalah Hathaway – “Smile” – Loving it! I love this whole album.
    Patti Austin – “Big Bad World” – *dead* Thank you so much for pulling this one out. As we discussed, there were such powerhouse backing vocals on this song. Luther, Patti, Jocelyn Brown, Lani Groves, and Chaka with Luther doing the vocal arrangements. Truly an underrated tune. Years later, Luther, Lisa Fischer, and Hilary James (Bob’s daughter) did a soulful groove on Bob James’ Restless that features some kick ass vocal arrangements as well.
    Stephanie Mills – “Whatcha Gonna Do With My Lovin'” – *dead again* Back in 1978, you knew this song was coming on from th opening bars and always hoped they would play the 12″ version on the radio. Of course, when I finally heard the long version in the club, I almost lost my mind. I love the instrumental break in the long version. It gives you just enough time to pull yourself together before Stephanie comes back and blows you away again.
    That’s a great story on George Johnson and such a great song.
    Chaka Khan/Rufus – “Stay” – Love it! I am playing Streetplayer right now cuz I also need to hear “Best of Your Heart”, “Blue Love”, and “Stranger To Love.”
    “Love’s In Need of Love Today” and “Fantasy” are timeless classics.
    Okay, I have rambled enough. Keep the grooves coming!

18. 19 October 2005 at 19:00

Love, love, love the Deja song and ANYTHING by Lalah.
    And you put Intro on this one. *slap* Intro is… just.the.shit. Love it!!! =)