In Rotation: 09/02/05

Hurricane Katrina [Exhausted]

Originally uploaded by slight clutter.

Living life in the south such as it is has it’s highs and lows. While there’s
often good times that we like to share, things are not so great this go around.
I’m sure I could list a multitude of links about the tragedy that’s happened,
I’m glad to see that some
of the bloggers
around the way are safe and sound.

The devestation is not only in Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and even Georgia.
While there are complaints of
gas prices skyrocketing
, we need to also be thankful that it’s not our house
that needs to be rebuilt, or family members who are unaccounted for. While my great-aunts have not been located, our family has been assured that they have been taken care of. I was able
to talk to one of my cousins, who is stationed at Kessler
down in Mississippi. She’s told me that they don’t have water at the base, that their houses are flooded or destroyed, and that they’re bringing in 4,000 troops
because people in Biloxi don’t have water. Ten Marine ships are coming in but
it will take them a week to get there. There are people trying to get into the
base trying to force their way past troops, and the residency doctors are being
evacuated. As she says, however, it could have been a lot worse. My great aunts and friends from New Orleans have lost everything, but they are thankful that they’re still alive. My hearts go
out to everyone
who has
been impacted by the disaster.

Be thankful, and give
what you can
. It’s important to keep moving forward. Let’s keep rotating.

Rotation: September 2, 2005

01 – Jianda and DJ Freestyle – Water, Love, and Sunshine. We know about
Jianda, don’t we?
02 – Tortured Soul – Fall In Love.
From Introducing Tortured Soul,
one my favorite albums from 2004.
03 – Larry Heard / Loose Fingers – Changes.
From the just released album
04 – King Britt – Feeling Of Love.
From On
the Seventh: Park Hyatt Chicago
05 – Jully Black – Material Things (Featuring Nas).
06 – Lina – Smooth.
Honey had
a conversation with Lina
recently, which is what made me pull the CD out again.
07 – Val Watson – Whether U Know It.
Remember Val Watson, from Club Nouveau?
Well, she has an album entitled Urbal. This track was a duet with Jane
Eugene from Loose Ends. Check
her site out here
08 – Jafar Curry – Love Again
. Jafar has a CD coming out this fall entitled
Thoughts From My Room. His EP is currently in circulation. You
can check him out here
09 – Ladybug Mecca – Please Don’t.
I still Trip
The Light Fantastic
10 – Ivy – Keep Moving.
From the new album from Ivy, In
The Clear
11 – Southside Break Crew – Freshest Jam.
From Current
Cuts, V. 1
12 – Will Smith – Switch…Ft. Robin Thicke (R&B Remix).
From the
upcoming Lost
& Found
13 – Kanye West – We Can Make It Better (Feat. Talib Kweli, Q-Tip, Common &
Rhymefest) (UK Bonus Track).
Bonus track on the UK release of Late

[Update 09.02.05 18:47] I’ll tell you though …. Mayor Nagin is absolutely making my day. About time someone’s spoken this. I just wish I could meet him…..

20 Responses “In Rotation: 09/02/05”

1. 2 September 2005 at 10:50

it’s been a long time since i’ve heard an arby where 80% of the songs are new to me! This will get me through a Looooooooooooong workday today.
    Thanx, boa!!!!

2. 2 September 2005 at 11:06

Hmm… where’d ya get that UK version from? :)

3. 2 September 2005 at 11:10

I would tell you, but then I’d have to kill you. 😉
    Thanks, chief!

4. 2 September 2005 at 13:46

Nice, very nice. I needed something uplifting today, and you, as always, came through. Have a good weekend, Music Man.

5. 2 September 2005 at 13:48

I forgot to tell you, I love the new look. Fresh! LOL

6. 2 September 2005 at 14:44

Nice – that Totured Soul is still in heavy rotation for me. I need to Val another go round too. Didn’t really get it the first time.
    Love the new look. Nice Surprise

7. 2 September 2005 at 15:45

I’ll keep your family living in the gulf area in my prayers.

8. 2 September 2005 at 17:36

It’s crazy what’s happning in New Orleans. *smh*

9. 2 September 2005 at 22:32

Mayor Ray Nagin Shows His Whole Ass on WWL-AM.. And For Damn Good Reason!!

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ripped President Bush and the Government a new one about their pathetic excuse of disaster relief for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. In an interview with Garland Robinette, my man Nagin bled his heart out…

10. Ariya
    3 September 2005 at 01:11

Thanks for including Kanye in the mix EJ. God bless him too.
    (The link is here).
    BTW, nice redesign.

11. 3 September 2005 at 03:12

Prayers to you and yours my friend. Nice new look to the site too. Kudos dawg. Have a happy and safe holiday weekend..

12. 3 September 2005 at 09:22

I hope the events of the past week cause us to re-evaluate our elected officials – do they really represent us well. This is one of those times when a person’s true heart becomes evident. Bush and his whole administration should be ashamed, FEMA should be ashamed. I am glad the Congressional Black Caucus spoke out, proud of Nagin, and my heart is warmed by the efforts of everyday citizens. Sorry for the rant, but this situation hits me square in the heart. Prayers go out to your fam, EJ, and all others who have suffered and/or lost.

13. 3 September 2005 at 20:49

Good to know your family is ok.

14. 4 September 2005 at 07:18

Mayor Nagin building up political goodwill. rightly so. seems to be the only government offical with any real voice.
    We can only hope for safety and say prayers for those affected. and meditate on the whole thing afterwards. it’s a disgrace.
    of course the moon doesnt stop rotating round the earth so more good music is in order.

15. Ariya
    5 September 2005 at 00:07

btw, glad to know your family is safe EJ

16. Peter
    5 September 2005 at 08:35

It goes to show, none of us are guaranteed safety tomorrow. It puts things in perspective, makes us all aware of our vulnerability and most importantly reminds us that we are all brothers and sisters. This disaster has touched me more than any other. Any of those people who have lost everything could be me in a different time and place, trying to protect loved ones or find those lost.
    I have only been enjoying your site for a few weeks now, but feel a part of this community and want to share my grief albeit very remote.
    Keep up the good work. One day we will indeed overcome the greed and corruption in the world to ensure the safety of us all.
    North London

17. 5 September 2005 at 11:31

Hey EJ, glad to know that you were thinking about a sista. Glad Diggs is safe as well. Been missing you guys, but I’ve been volunteering with the Red Cross and working on a documentary about the victims of the hurricane.
    Oh, and I like the new layout!

18. 6 September 2005 at 10:02

Nice Flow.. it got me started and working on a Tuesday morning.. Right on for including the Tortured Soul.. thats definitely one of my favorite albums too.. I’m feelin’ all the cuts on that album.. Next time throw ‘#2 – Hows Your Life’, or ‘#3 – Why’ in there for me.. Special request :)

19. 6 September 2005 at 10:15

Sorry for the double post, but I just had to ask. Is there anybody out there as glad as I am that Will is doing some groovin’-ass grown folks type music? No more ‘Boom Boom Boom Shake The Room’, that switch remix was pretty tight..

20. 6 September 2005 at 17:35

You are not listening to “Communion!” Anyway this arby was cool like the other side of the pillow. Ladybug’s voice has me swooning on that track, as usual. Still listening…