OSW: The Gauntlet, Volume 1.

Since my birthday was laid back and kinda chill, I had music to vibe me through,
so I reached into the crates for this one. This one goes out to the Leos. This is how we do it. Take notes.

Old
School Wednesday: The Gauntlet, Volume I.

These are cuts that I’m sure everyone can vibe to that have either not
hit the charts or have placed on or below the top 20. Here we go. You remember
these? If not, let me help you.

01 – Shuggie Otis – Inspiration Information. Only went as high
as #52 on the R&B chart. Classic, classic song.
02 – Heatwave – Happiness Togetherness.
From Central Heating in 1978.
Never hit the charts.
03 – First Love – Things Are Not The Same (Without You)
. This cut was
pulled from the crates by the one and only London
Lee
. Classic cut that was written and produced by Jason Bryant of the SOS
Band we believe, and personally reminds me of Tell Me If You Still Care. Thanks,
Lee. I owe you one.
04 – DeBarge – A Dream.
Sung by Bunny DeBarge, and never hit the charts.
05 – Shalamar – Over and Over
. Went as high as #26 on the R&B chart
in 1983.
06 – Switch – Call on Me
. This cut should send shivers down your spine.
Sung by Terrance Gaines (not Bobby or Tommy DeBarge). Went as high as #70 in
1982.
07 – Mtume – C.O.D. (I’ll Deliver)
. Tawatha Agee anyone? 1984 at #20.
08 – The Jacksons – Give It Up.
From the Triumph CD in 1980. Never
hit the chart.
09 – Rufus & Chaka Khan – Live In Me
. From Masterjam in 1979.
10 – Phyllis Hyman – Ain’t You Had Enough Love Baby
. Reminds you of
Loose Ends? It should. Written by them and of course- and on background vocals?
Jane Eugene. Went as high as #29 on the R&B chart in 1987.
11 – Patti Austin – Only a Breath Away
. If it sounds somewhat like
Pleasure Principle, it should. This was written and produced by Monte Moir, who (along with Jimmy Jam) was a keyboardist for The Time. He was also part of the original Flytetyme team.
12 – Change – Warm
. Produced by Jam and Lewis while they were in Italy. They never got paid for this either. This is off
of Change Of Heart, released in 1984.
13 – Central Line – Don’t Tell Me.
Released in 1982.
14 – GQ – Shake.
Released in 1981 and went as high as #23 on the R&B
chart.
15 – Dynasty – Day And Night.
Leon Sylvers anyone? Released in 1983.

Vibe it through.

16 Responses “OSW: The Gauntlet, Volume 1.”

1. 20 July 2005 at 07:43

That’s right cuz, it’s Leo time! Good looking out on the dedication.

2. 20 July 2005 at 08:38

OK, I had to come back now that the Phyllis Hyman track is playing. That’s one of my favorites of hers and it is probably b/c it sounds like a Loose Ends joint. Both that song and ‘Screaming at the Moon’ were produced by Losse Ends’ producer Nick Martinelli

3. 20 July 2005 at 09:46

As always, I come by here on Wed to ck out what I’ll be listening to when I get home tonight. *le sigh*
    *waving* Hi E.J!!!!!!

4. 20 July 2005 at 11:00

I’m like Mi_Casa. I come to get my listen on too. Especially while at work. Helps make my day go by faster it seems. I even go back through your “Past Phases” and listen to those again as well.

5. godizus
    20 July 2005 at 11:11

Way to show ’em EJ! Cancers do it best!

6. 20 July 2005 at 12:57

That DeBarge cut has been sampled by many rappers. Good stuff!!

7. Jaydd
    20 July 2005 at 15:46

Speaking of Tawatha Agee… any ‘Thigh Ride’ coming at us in the future?

8. 21 July 2005 at 10:00

Oooh…i’m at my new job and can actually listen to the grooves while i’m at my desk. How cool is THAT?! Especially since you have my girl Phyllis playing again.
    Thanks for YOUR positive words on my blog and happy belated birthday!

9. 21 July 2005 at 15:01

Nodding my head to the tunes… Yeeaahhh boyyeee..!

10. 21 July 2005 at 17:23

OH.MY.GOD. YOU DID NOT!!! NOT!!! PUT First Love’s Things are not the Same Without You on here. *shutting PC off never to return*
    OMG!!! I used to LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE that song. Never knew who it was by. I was sitting here and NEVER expected that!!!! I’m singing EVERY.DAMN.WORD. THANK YOU!!!! =)

11. 21 July 2005 at 17:25

And you did NOT mention “Tell Me If You Still Care.” That was my ALLTIME favorite SOS Band song…and if I was sexually active when it was out… I’dda clearly been pregnant with triplets. ROFLMAO… I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE that song as much as a 10-11 year old could. LOL

12. 21 July 2005 at 20:36

woah..this is such a nice… mellow summer night’s “cap” type of song..thanks once again..

13. 21 July 2005 at 23:56

You’re early with the Leos shout but “I ain’t mad at cha.” Heh, A Dream…
    I’m gonna have to represent for my Leos next week!

14. 22 July 2005 at 09:16

Thanks for this wonderful list, EJ. “Over and Over” brings back such great memories from high school!

15. 22 July 2005 at 10:03

Oh… and you know I have to leave at LEAST three comments on your OSWs. LOL Umm.. Tawatha?? I’mma need to hear “No More Tears” please. Thank you.

16. js
    1 August 2005 at 19:51

“Day & Night”… wow! Used to love the “Adventures in the Land of Music” album… best known for “I’ve Just Begun to Love You.” Great selection. Happy belated b-day!