givin’, thinkin’, vibin….

Thoughts before I head to Brooknam for some much needed vacation:

Givin’: Yahoo 360? GMail? Need em? Want em? Let me
know.

Thinkin’: Chandrasutra brought up the reality that
bloggers are being misrepresented. She states:

Big Media are doing a fine job of misrepresenting bloggers.

And I’ve had enough of it.
It’s time we spoke for ourselves. It’s time we raised our voices and let them
(and everybody else know) who we actually are, who we link to and why we blog.

She
has a list of seven questions
, which I would encourage everyone who is reading
this and believe that blogs need finer representation (as I do), to either answer
them in the comments section of her blog entry, or email them to her at mel
at htmel dot net

Vibin’: While I’ve been doing Old School Wednesdays
(which are actually easy), I’ve been lax on giving vibes on a regular basis
for new music, new beats, and giving more exposure. Therefore, Friday Melodies
is back this year, this time entitled:

In
Rotation: 4/8/05.

01 – Mariah Carey – Stay The Night. From The Emancipation
of Mimi
, Mariah’s debut album on Def Jam. This track was produced by Kanye
West, which in my opinion, is the finest track on the CD. In terms of quality,
this CD is exceedingly better than Charmbracelet.
02 – Mica Paris – I Luv You. First track from her new CD, If
You Could Love Me
. On Wounded Bird Records.
03 – The Rurals – Read Me Like A Book. From their just-released
album A
Rural Life
. Mellow, deep house.
04 – Beady Belle – Irony. From their new CD Closer.

05 – Pete Belasco – Hurry, Hurry. It would be easy (and incorrect)
to compare him to Marvin Gaye. He knows how to sing, point blank. His CD Deeper is quite mellow
and soulful.
06 – Beanie Sigel – Change. Ian
recommended his CD
, and in doing so, was the impetus for me getting it after
being on the fence for a second. This is one of the mellower, introspective tracks
on the album, which fits into this mix nicely. The album, as it stands, is arguably
one of the first standout hip-hop albums this year.
07 – Earth Wind And Fire with Rafael Saadiq – Show Me The Way.
Fantastic single from the upcoming album. Produced and sung with Raphael Saddiq,
this is true EWF, and will stay in my rotation for a good while.
08 – Nicole Willis – (Sunday Night) Don’t Hold Back. Great
horn section accompanies this track. From Be It.
09 – Onda – Deeper Love. From Carte Blanche 3. This
CD has Gaelle’s Falling as well as P’Taah’s Hold You Close,
which are also of merit.
10 – Silhouette Brown – Changes.
11 – Faith Evans – Lucky Day. Nikki
loved this CD
, and recommended it to me. I’m glad I listened to her. This
is one of my favorite tracks.
12 – Ivana Santilli – Deserve. Todd
hipped me to Ivana, and I was not dissapointed. This single was penned and backed
by….
13 – Omar – Come On.

Vibe with me.
*Special thanks to Honey
for the vibe!

12 Responses “givin’, thinkin’, vibin….”

1. 8 April 2005 at 07:37

Have fun this weekend. It is suppose to rain most of the weekend but I won’t let that stop me. I’ll probably see your around town. Thanks for the tunes. Peace.

2. 8 April 2005 at 09:21

Hey! Like the new design!

3. 8 April 2005 at 09:41

Berry – it would be good to see you. Hit me up via email. The weather reports say it’s going to be sunny when I get there until the time I leave. Good omen perhaps? 😉
    Terrance – thanks!

4. 8 April 2005 at 09:59

Have a safe trip and a fun vacation. Thanks for the shoutout but I shoud be thanking you for helping me with the motivation. You already know how I feel about your selections, you’re always on point.

5. 8 April 2005 at 10:20

Friday morning vibe music. Gotta love it. Rockin Mimi huh? I got something for ya…

6. 8 April 2005 at 11:08

Yeah, that Faith is hittin’!! And I’m glad to see Maurice White performing with EWF again. Raphael Saadiq hooked them up with a monster hit.

7. 8 April 2005 at 11:46

Thanks for the shout-out, EJ! Much appreciated. I hope you have a lovely vacation. Weather’s just starting to get nice, isn’t it? I was outside this morning and thinking wow… birds! I’ve been living through my computer all winter. It’s time to get outside and BREATHE and hear birds and feel the uneven soil beneath our feet 😉

8. 8 April 2005 at 19:56

I’m planning to check out Mariah’s new one. Have you seen her new cover, EJ? She kind of looks like she’s spoofing Beyonce on the cover of the “Emancipation of Mimi.” I’m a big Faith Evans fan, can’t wait to check out her new cd. Didn’t know that Earth Wind and Fire were working with Raphael Saadiq. Will check that out. Has Ivana Santilli’s Brown & Courdory Cds, which were really good. She’s from Canada too… heh. Anyway, keep serving us the cool stuff, EJ!

9. 9 April 2005 at 20:40

Hey E “to-the” J…..my #1 DJ!!!
    I’ve missed chatting with you!
    Anywho, I’m sure you’re enjoying your trip. Please be sure to let us know the details. And I’ll be sure to answer the blogger’s questions.

10. 10 April 2005 at 23:19

You’re killing it as per usual. I’m feeling Ivana, the Omar influence on that track is icing on the cake. It’s about time for him to drop some new ish too…

11. 11 April 2005 at 13:53

Hi EJ!
    Happy Monday. I really need to listen to some of this music you and Nikki tell me about because i’m so behind the times, which doesn’t make sense because I used to be a DJ! How is/was your trip?

12. 25 June 2005 at 17:22

heard the track deeper and loved it. u know i thought of it. so um..can i hab it?