OSW: the triple threat

You know when they say that great minds think alike? Well imagine when there
were two minds that helped shape this OSW. It’s the meeting of the minds – Fresh!
and Phill. But first, let me answer some of these questions posted last week:

Q: Unlimited Touch – I Hear Music In The Streets – Yep, one of Prelude’s
gems. Nice jam, along with the sleeper Private Party. Trivia – The lead female
singer also sang lead on what Jeff Lorber hot dance tune?

A: Audrey Wheeler is one of the lead female singers, but for the life of me
I can’t remember which Jeff Lorber track she sung on. I do remember her doing
background vocals for Luther Vandross. But what I really, really liked her in
was another cut from D-Train called Misunderstanding (which
I coudn’t find in time for this arby).

Q: Steve Arrington – Weak At The Knees – Man, phat nasty and funky. I think
one of Steve’s nastiest jams. DoubleTrivia – What famous black haircare product
commercial did Stevie sing lead on and recorded with Slave for? and what is
Stevie doing now?
A: It took me a while but I remember when I was doing some research on
Slave’s bass player and them talking about one of the radio commercials they
did. I want to say it’s Soul Glo, but I have a feeling I am so wrong. Of course,
I do know what Stevie is doing now and that is ministry for a church, where
he also plays drums. Trivia in return: what was the name of the bass player,
and what famous song did he arrange and play bass on that was not done
with Slave?

Q: The System – You Are In My System – I..love…The System!. This is a
cah-lass-ic. I’ve always been awed by David Franks, intricate but phat drum
and synth programming! I have everything they released. DoubleTrivia – Mic Murphy
was a roadie for what R&B band before hookin’ up with Dave Frank? (Hint:
"Keeep Your Body Workin’") and what unknown diva (living in the same
building as Mic) did The System record demos for her, while she was yet an unknown
singer? (Hint: "Vogue")

A: David Frank lived in the same building as Madonna, of course. I couldn’t tell
you who we was a roadie for though. Woah!

As you can see, Fresh! up got me thinking about the next OSW, but there was
actually someone else behind the scenes as well, and that someone is Phill,
the man from Enigmatic
Musings of a Cynical Mind.
Way back when, there was an arby that KB and
I did a collaboration on, and that was Parliament. Some time later, Phill and
I, early in the morning, started going back and forth about music, old school,
and taking ventures on the wayback machine, and that’s where this arby comes
from. Presenting:

Old
School Wednesday: The Triple Threat – EJ, Phill, and Fresh!

01 – Change – Change Of Heart. Phill and I were talking about
this track, which just happens to be one of my favorites. Trivia questions:
1) Who produced this song; 2) How much did the production company get paid;
3) Where was it produced?
02 – Mac Band – Stuck. Roses are Red was what made me pull
this track out.
03 – Mary Davis – Don’t Wear It Out. Trivia questions: 1) Where
did Mary work after this album was released; 2) Who did the production? (Hint:
think #02). *Special thanks to TLH,
who provided me with this track!
04 – Cameo – I Just Want To Be. Phill said "Mary Davis"
and "Cameo" in rapid succession, so I had to pull them out.
05 – One Way – Cutie Pie. If you look westward, you’ll see
Gwen groovin’ to this one.
06 – Fonda Rae – Over Like A Fat Rat. Phill dropped this one,
while Fresh! dropped…..
07 – Carol Hall & Orbit – And The Beat Goes On.

After all that grooving, I had to slow it down a little bit though….

08 – Junior – Too Late (12 Inch Version). While Phill and I
were talking about Mama Used To Say, this song was also mentioned. Remember
this one? Trivia: No peeking. What’s his last name?
09 – Billy Ocean – Nights (Feel Like Gettin’ Down). His first
hit.
10 – D-Train – Walk On By. Trivia: You had David Frank and
Mic Murphy for The System, but 1) Who was the keyboardist for D-Train; 2)
What did D-Train do before he started singing?
11 – Earth, Wind, & Fire – Can’t Hide Love.
12 – Dynasty – The Only One. Phill came up with this one. Trivia:
1) Who wrote this song; 2) Who produced it?
13 – Portrait – On And On. Todd’s vibe made me pull this out….and yeah, I know I claim I’m not a romantic, but this song melts me every single time I hear it. I ain’t ashamed! Trivia: Who’s playing the saxophone?

Vibe on, and thank those guys. They were the impetus to the groove. I’m just
the provider! Now I’m just waiting on all the answers….

15 Responses “OSW: the triple threat”

1. 26 January 2005 at 02:37

I’ve grown accustomed to starting Hump Day with your OSWs. They are a slow, seductive walk down memory lane. Many of the songs were special to me at one point in my life, so I smile and snuggle closer to the laptop when I read names like Change and D Train.
    This week’s selection is also impressive. But one track towers above the others. That would be Number 6, Fonda Rae. Her voice was warm butter across the dance floor at 4a-m. What a range, and so melodic.
    Do you remember Hey Boy? I get chills just thinkig about music like that.
    Thanks.
    Rod
    Brotha2Brotha

2. 26 January 2005 at 10:58

Question #2: Steve Arrington did commercials for ‘Afro Sheen’
    I should know. i was the customer. Whew, glad i burned all the jheri curl pictures. Teh wife was threatening to ‘out’ me on the internet

3. 26 January 2005 at 11:01

OK, I just had to jump straight to that Billy Ocean joint. Man, did he go POP! after this dance floor classic. This ish was funky! That Trini boy had them shook, especially with Nigel Martinez on the production. And then it was down hill from there. Oh vell… I got a groove to go now. Great arby to test my new Klipsch speakers, fellas! Thanks!

4. 26 January 2005 at 12:06

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i gotta listen to the rest of this later cos i don’t want to wear myself out before my aerobics class!

5. 26 January 2005 at 15:44

@ the change of heart question… i dunno, but it sure sounds like some s.o.s. band funk! Big Winners: Cutie Pie and The Beat Goes On… Portrait is major hotness!

6. 26 January 2005 at 17:24

talking about old school and not being pressed anymore. the billy ocean joint, pre video soul.i forgot dude had good sh*t.i love One Way, do you remember WRAP YOUR BODY? worry free music, did not have a job, no bills and i was getting a phat allowance.($4)went straight to those damn D batteries. i was wearing Panama Jack shirts, vans shoes and some ocean pacific shorts and a a bangin hat that had the two flaps hangin in the back. i was playing hide and go get. that was version for mannish boys and fast tail girls. gotta go, dancing in the chair i’m a pro but i can’t type and snap fingers at the same time.

7. 26 January 2005 at 20:57

Should I spoil the suspense and give the answers to those that I remember? Uh……I’ll wait a couple of days.

8. phill
    26 January 2005 at 21:22

Oh yeah. Listen to “Over Like a Fat rat” and tell me that it doesn’t sound like Fonda is saying SNUFF has a home in your heart”
    Trivia!! What white hippie couple originally recorded “And the beat goes on” in the 60’s?

9. 26 January 2005 at 23:10

Ok, E…lemme see how many of these I can rock
    1. Jam and Lewis produced Change of Heart at Flyte Tyme Studios in Minneapolis. How much they got paid…I HAVE NO IDEA! LOL
    3. Where did Mary work? Who knows…K-Mart? hah. Production nod goes to LA and Babyface.
    8. Junior Giscombe…(I peeked, heh)
    10. Hubert Eaves was the keyboardist… D-Train did….newscasts? LOL I dunno.
    12. Ima go with Leon Sylvers III on writer and producer.
    13. Portrait’s sax plawer…Ima guess Art Porter or Kenny G
    On Phill’s trivia, Ima go with Sonny and Cher.

10. 26 January 2005 at 23:14

Ohh yeah, the Slave question, the bass player was none other that Mark “The Hansolor” Adams, he arranged and played on Odyssey’s “Inside Out” (that joint is nice).

11. 26 January 2005 at 23:37

FIYA!!! i’m diggin the osw bruh…

12. 27 January 2005 at 08:33

Junior Giscombe! Yes!!

13. Smiley
    10 June 2005 at 01:32

Hi Guys,
    Love the site, just a quick question do you have a contact number or email address for Mic Murphy of the System.
    We are a record label in London England and won’t to speak to him.
    Peace on Earth
    PJ & Smiley
    Shut Up And Dance Music
    email info@shutupanddance.co.uk
    Tel: +44 020 8806 1556

14. Xperiment
    12 June 2005 at 14:14

Hi, PJ & Smiley.
    You may want to check out this site:
    This site’s about the Little Macho Organization, which brought you Change, BB&Q and High Fashion, among other groups. Mic was the co-runner of this company in the early 80s. Anyway… Mic gave an interview to the guy who manages that site. He may be able to put you in contact with Mic. He gave me Mic’s number but I’m not at liberty to pass it along. He may be able to give it to you as well. Good luck. – TB

15. Xperiment
    12 June 2005 at 14:38

I know this is an old trivia, but seeing as though it has gone unanswered for soooo long, for whatever it’s worth, I’ll answer it.
    Q – Mic Murphy was a roadie for what R&B band before hookin’ up with Dave Frank?
    A – Kleeer