OSW: non-purple minneapolis

This Old School Wednesday was a lot of fun for me, I gotta say. The emphasis this week is the Minneapolis vibe, with a twist: there’s no purple here, only the ones who grooved around him and vibed through Prince. May I present:
Old School Wednesday: The Non-Purple Minneapolis.
Many of these tracks were unreleased, and almost all but forgotten. Check it:
01 – TaMara and the Seen – Everybody Dance. The only single significantly played; there were really no hits after this single. Produced by Jesse Johnson.
02 – Mazarati – Suzy. Remember Mark Brown from Purple Rain?
03 – Jesse Johnson – Be Your Man.
04 – TaMara and the Seen – Affecttion [sic]. Guitar by Jesse. An absolute classic.
05 – Morris Day and the Time – Jungle Love.
06 – Mazarati – 100 MPH.
07 – Janet Jackson – You Can Be Mine. Guitar and production by Jellybean Johnson, the drummer from The Time. You gotta love it.
08 – Lisa Keith – I’m In Love. Lisa Keith was the premiere background vocalist back in the day for Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Think Alexander O’Neal’s Criticize. She had her own solo album, Walkin’ In The Sun.
09 – Lo-Key – More Ways Than One. Produced by Lance Alexander and Tony Tolbert, Flytetyme personnel.
10 – Lisa Keith – Love Isn’t Body, It’s Soul.
11 – Angel Grant – Hey You. From Perspective Records, Jam and Lewis’ first record label.
12 – Lo-Key – I Got A Thang For Ya. Also from Perspective Records.
13 – Lisa Keith/Janet Jackson – Making Love In The Rain. The principal vocalist on this track is Lisa Keith, but wasn’t really labeled as such on the single’s release.
14 – Janet Jackson – He Doesn’t Even Know That I’m Alive. Background vocals? You guessed it…Lisa Keith.
15 – Lo-Key – Hey There Pretty Lady. This track was on their album, “Where Dey At?”; however, the one you’re listening to was taken from a Flytetyme compilation and had a wonderful muted trumpet solo at the end. I can’t be quoted on this, but I believe it’s Herb Alpert.

13 Responses “OSW: non-purple minneapolis”

1. Todd Kelley
    8 December 2004 at 00:12

Can’t go wrong with TaMara and the Seen!!! Bravo!

2. 8 December 2004 at 00:15

hmmmm, TaMara and the Seen??? I’m not familiar with this group. Yet, I like what I’m listening to. As usual, thanks for sharing.

3. 8 December 2004 at 07:29

Oh sh!t… I saw Mazarati in my newreader and ran the phuck over here! Great call with Tamara and the Seen too. I guess I’m about to get edjumacated with Lo-Key though… don’t think I’ve heard of them before.

4. 8 December 2004 at 11:09

First of all I forgive you for not including Prince, LOL (just jokes). Great concept to include those in his orbit. And the TaMara and The Seen find is making my day. Thanks as usual EJ the DJ! P.S.- so uhhhh EJ, whatever happened to some of these people? LOL (private joke)

5. Ryan
    8 December 2004 at 11:58

wow….i too wasnt familiar with Tamara and the Seen but im loving the music..good job ej. damn, you’re making me want to get a whole new blog up and get some music going on it..:)

6. 8 December 2004 at 13:20

*sigh*

7. 8 December 2004 at 15:37

Hmm, I am not sure if I have ever heard of TaMara and the Seen either, but I definitely like them, brings me right back to the 80s. 😉

8. 8 December 2004 at 15:47

Hey, I’m on to you, bucko [/end Richie Cunningham voice] I’m gonna call you on this one. This is nothing more than your ill-fated attempt to post your FlyteTyme gems, you Jimmy & Terry fanatic!
    Heh heh, nice job SP…

9. KB
    8 December 2004 at 15:48

And unlike Honey I’m not forgiving you for not having any Prince in this mix. I done taught you better than that, boy!

10. 9 December 2004 at 13:05

Ahh E..this is dope…Speaking of Purple Rain, I should have also hooked you up with some Dez Dickerson and The Modernaires…and that honey, the waitress, Jill Jones…I have that on CD, well out of print…”G-Spot” is funky!!
    Good OSW!

11. 9 December 2004 at 13:20

As usual, EJ, always good stuff. You just don’t quit!

12. 14 December 2004 at 08:10

Yo EJ,
    First P Funk. Now the minneapolis connection….man I think either I wuz you or you wuz me in another life.
    Gee Whiz info- One of the first people to make it big out of the whole Prince, Morris Day, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis circle was the chick from the group Lipps INC. (Come on now. “Funky Town” You know you get your boogie on to it) She was a singer in Flyte Tyme (the band that became The Time)
    I’m done.

13. shatner green
    28 January 2005 at 12:25

i want this on cd. willing to pay.