expressions: 11/16

Thoughts in my head this morning:

My music. I was called a "musicbot" by a couple of people,
and that really made me angry. A majority of me is about the music, and considering
that I work a lot (60 hours is no joke, people) and have various things going
on in my life, music is what keeps me sane. Never mind that I read lots of other
blogs and public spaces (around 200 at last count), and express myself to them
by comments and personal contact, it’s said that I don’t express myself very much
here. It’s okay that some people don’t get it, but music is what’s happening here,
since that’s more me. My moodswings can easily be put in a mixtape, trust me.

I’m all about personal contact. If you really want to know what’s going on, email
me or IM me. It’s just that simple.

Colin out, Condoleeza in. I think I insulated myself from all
of the Bush re-election happenings of the past couple of weeks and focused mostly
on music. The doctor’s appointment from hell didn’t help either, but I’m seeing
my way through. Although I’m getting over the resignation
of Colin
, I’m not quite ready for the Condoleeza Rice takeover as Secretary
of State. I haven’t seen any feedback from that announcement, but it’s not something
I’m looking forward to. In my opinion, Condoleeza has the most creative way of
the administration. Does anyone else have a sense of dread about this too? Puppet?
Cheerleader? You decide.

Old School Wednesday / Musical Melodies Friday.
I’m pretty sure that purchasing/acquiring lots of CDs this week will more than
likely result in a Musical Melodies Friday, because I already have a playlist
in my head. That is, if I can balance work and making travel arrangements for
this weekend with actually putting a list together. All that being said, however,
OSW is a different story. I won’t be able to do it this week due to all the other
commitments. . I’m sure someone out there has an OSW in their head. If you’ve
got one, let me know.

The Negro Weekend. Know any Negro bloggers out there that aren’t
doing anything on the 21st and happen to be in the Atlanta area? Let me know.

13 Responses “expressions: 11/16”

1. 16 November 2004 at 08:57

E,
    One of the things that made me gravitate to your blog, after a few reads, was the content you provide. For me, I am a musician, thus the content is straight up my alley. Be like Nike and ‘just do it’. I can vouch that EJ is very personable via e-mail and phone…try him out….Musicbot? Naahhh…more like, ‘musichot’, feel me?
    peace,
    F!

2. 16 November 2004 at 10:19

I’m happy you have become a popular web destination for music. However, as your housemate and friend of 20 years I have to admit that I wish you would post more of what’s going on in your head. In the wake of recent events, I think it would be cathartic.
    However, I am well aware how much energy it takes to post regularly and understand if you need to put your mental energy into work, family or elsewhere. It’s your site and only you can decide what’s the best use of this space.

3. 16 November 2004 at 10:58

The 21st is Sunday right? I will be coming in from NC but I don’t think I will be doing anything.

4. 16 November 2004 at 12:21

EJ, musically you are like my brother from a different mother..maybe our father is Prince, LOL. Seriously, you always turn me on to new music and that brings me alot of joy so from a selfish point of view, if all remains the same here, that’s alright with me. If you feel the need to do something different, maybe a private journal for more personal thoughts, I will support that also. As for “musicbot”, is that supposed to be negative? If that means bringing the hotness, newness and uniqueness to everything you touch, making it seem effortless and expressing musically feelings that are both universal and personal at the same time, then I wanna be a musicbot too, sign me up! LOL.

5. 16 November 2004 at 13:13

LOL@negro weekend. you are wild! Don’t ask me why, but my heart goes out to Condoleeza. If I were her, I’d do the same as Colin and get the heebs out of dodge. As for the music, you do your thang! If it weren’t for you, I’d be confined to my lil music box (which is highly limited). Thanks for introducing me to… oooh, numerous artists I would have NEVER heard of. Peace mahn!

6. KB
    16 November 2004 at 17:48

I want to comment but I’m stuck on “musicbot” *shakes head*

7. 16 November 2004 at 18:05

Keep doing what you are doing EJ.
    I just wish I could blog about personal stuff and post music more often. I used to do that shit all the time. But, alas, my work and personal life are so chaotic I don’t have time to write on my blog.
    Keep it popping with the B12 and radio blog, stuff — it’s off the hook!

8. 16 November 2004 at 19:33

ej… you havin a black blog weekend?

9. 17 November 2004 at 09:00

Like my man Humpty said “Doowhatchalike”. Isn’t that the whole point of having your OWN blog? Keep bringing the heat man.
    Don’t foget to put me on the ATL “nicca” list. :-)
    I’m sure you’ll be putting some of Gaelle’s new joint on Friday’s RB. I only got half-way through it so far but it’s definitely the hotness.

10. 17 November 2004 at 09:58

Musicbot? I think not. Have I thanked you again lately for introducing me to the music of Beady Belle? You keep us thinking out of the box with your musical flavors so keep doin’ your thang!

11. 18 November 2004 at 11:40

“I haven’t seen any feedback from that announcement, but it’s not something I’m looking forward to. In my opinion, Condoleeza has the most creative way of saying absolutely nothing and not addressing any issues, if at all, she has with the administration. ”
    You said it best @ Condoleeza. She is a cheerleader for Bush, since they’re such close friends. Although I’m impressed with her saaviness for words, she doesn’t really have a lick of common sense, not to mention she was part of the trio of hawks in the Bush administration (along with Rumsfled and Cheney) who ended up injuring Colin Powell’s moderate policies at every turn. Rice also threatened Caribbean leaders when they allowed Jean-Betrand Baptiste to return to visit his children. She threatend the Caribbean leaders with “sanctions” and/or other “actions” if they didn’t get Aristide out of the Caribbean.
    I also believe that Rice was incompetent as National Security Advisor since she dropped the ball on pre-9/11 threats from the CIA that warned of Al Qaeda’s imminent attack on the US. And she was also Bush’s tutor on foreign policy. When she was grilled before congress – she said that she didn’t take those threats seriously. That it was just a general statement and not an actual warning. And this is the person they want handling our international policy?
    I’m disappointed with Powell’s flip flops: (i.e. his support of false pre-war intelligence that said that Iraq had WMD when there were none – and he even said as much in 2001 interviews before 9/11. And his flip for with Iraq, and his flip flop over the situation in Haiti… (he said there were thugs trying to overthrow the democracy…but, then changed his mind when Bush wanted Aristide overthrown.)) Powell was used by the administration, but he allowed himself to be used because of his belief that he must be a good soldier to his commander-in-chief. However, Rice, I believe, is motivated by greed, power, and serving her “master’s” interests. She and Bush have an extremely close relationship. Too close, if you ask me.

12. 19 November 2004 at 20:14

Musicbot?!?! Whateva. Brutha EJ, you keep on playing the tunes. As saxophonist Gary Bartz said:
    Music is my sanctuary, music is my life…
    Do yo’ thang.

13. 21 November 2004 at 13:58

Well, I do like to pick on you for not having more personal things on your blog … cause you know I am such a voyeur. 😛 But, I love the music you have on here so I ain’t complaining at all.
    But, what is a musicbot? Is that like a spambot or something?