OSW: the a side/the b side

Link for radio blog fixed by KB because I’m such a good friend…

An interesting question came about yesterday: what’s the definition of old-school?
Our standing definition of old school are soulful, heartfelt songs that are more
than 10 years old. That’s our loose definition of it, so we’d like to hear other
opinions. What’s your definition?

Old
School Wednesday: Introducting The A Side/The B Side.

I kept vaccillating between slow, midtempo, and fast cuts, and since I couldn’t
decide (testosterone beats out melancholy most of the time, you see), I decided
to construct this OSW like a doublesided cassette: uptempo on one side, downtempo
on the the other. This week’s tracks:

Side A:
01 – "After You" by Bernard Wright. Again, from the cassette.
02 – "Got To Have Your Love" by Mantronix.
03 – "Just To Be With You" by Mica Paris. Also produced by
Mantronix.
04 – "A Lover’s Holiday" by Change.
05 – "Change of Heart" by Change.
06 – "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby.
07 – "The Breaks" by Kurtis Blow.
08 – "Around the Way Girl by LL Cool J.

Side B:
09 – "I’ll Always Love You" by Taylor Dayne.
10 – "Everything I Miss At Home" by Cherrelle.
11 – "Sunshine" by Alexander O’Neal.
12 – "Slow Wine" by Tony! Toni! Tone!
13 – "No One’s Gonna Love You by The SOS Band.
14 – "Strawberry Letter 23" by The Brothers Johnson.
15 – "Ready or Not" by After 7.
16 – "Wet My Whistle" by Midnight Star.

Enjoy.

8 Responses “OSW: the a side/the b side”

1. 6 October 2004 at 01:22

Old Skool to me is any great song that makes me think back to some time in my past (usually at least 10 or more years ago) and brings a smile to my face. Also, a GOOD old skool song makes me say “hmmmph” unconsciously at the back of my throat. As my mama would say…”now that’s sangin’ – when music meant somethin'”!
    By the way, I told Malik I had a nickname for you! IM me and I’ll share!

2. 6 October 2004 at 01:42

LOL @ the A&B sides. Now if that ain’t going back, I dunno what is! Special thanks for Sunshine (sigh), Strawberry Letter 23 and Wet My Wistle… As always, you got tha riiiight mix up in herr!

3. 6 October 2004 at 16:52

i likes! i likes! :)

4. 7 October 2004 at 07:55

In addition to your definition “soulful, heartfelt songs that are more than 10 years old” I also think that old school represents the pioneers in a particular genre and when the music from a particular genre was at its best and most exciting. :-) It is also the music that a current generation’s music evolved from.
    It also brings back some darned good memories. 😀

5. 7 October 2004 at 21:09

Okay, I’m JUST getting to hear this and again, I am so mad!!! NOT MANTRONIX featuring Wondress!!! Don’t play – I used to LOVE that song!!! OMG and Wet My Whistle – stop playing I was in the 7th grade and listened to that song on my new Walkman while we were on a class trip!! OMG. And CHANGE??? LOL Not Luther’s first group!!! Too much. I can’t stand you!!! LOL I have to get a radioblog!!! But for some reason my winzip was deleted or disabled. What can I do??? I HAVE to get one!!!

6. 7 October 2004 at 21:20

Hmm. Maybe I should actually answer the question you asked before commenting randomly. =)
    Old School to me is a song that’s maybe 15 years old or older, because I’m thinking of 1994 (10 years ago) and I don’t really consider those songs “old school” just yet. Songs from 1994 like “Shoop” by Salt N Pepa – nahhh.. not yet. But take it back 5 or 6 more years to 1988’s “Push It” and boom – that’s old school to me.
    I guess for me it is a song that’s about 15 years old or more and evokes memories of an era gone by. =)

7. 8 October 2004 at 12:49

I am so lovin’ these, but I especially like seeing LL Cool J, Taylor Dayne, Cherrelle, Tony! Toni! Tone!, The SOS Band, and Midnight Star. :)

8. 9 October 2004 at 22:12

Boy, what you trying to do to me! I am in old school heave right now. Don’t have me calling me ex-boyfriend, now!