OSW: euro groovin’, volume i

You know, when we talk about Old School all the time, we think of anything on
the Black hand side, right? Well, that may be the case, but sometimes you have
to give a nod to the grooves that didn’t have to be melanin-infused.

When I starting putting together this Old School Wednesday, my thought was to
put together something I was going to call The 80s British Invasion. The more I started listening
and picking, spinning, and reflecting, I started to realize that hey, back
then there may have been a melanin influence everywhere we walked, but
we can’t fake it – we know we heard these tunes, and as much as some of us hate
to admit it- we vibed to ’em on the regular. We listened to these and never told anyone how cool these songs were. The only time we dared speak of these tunes were when our friends were around
and they proclaimed them to be cool. The fact that they were even played by
our radio stations were a definite plus.

There were other ones also, back when we were in high school and college, that
we heard and we nodded to, because we loved ’em. We couldn’t deny it. These tunes were performed by,
as I remember them being referred to back then, people who were ‘short on melanin
but heavy on groove’. Nod your heads, ladies and gentlemen:

Old
School Wednesday: Euro Groovin’ Volume I: On the Light Hand Side.

There’s only one song on this radio.blog where all the members were Black. I’ll
let you figure out which one.

01 – "Situation" by Yaz. The precursor to Alison Moyet and
Erasure.
02 – "Take On Me" by a-ha. Norway in the house.
03 – "One Thing Leads to Another" by The Fixx.
04 – "The Reflex" by Duran Duran. You know, a playlist with
nothing but Duran Duran would be very cool. Any takers?
05 – "It’s My Life" by Talk Talk. They were all over the place
with their music, but this one was played prominently when I was in high school. Just ask No Doubt/Gwen Stefani.

06 – "Owner of A Lonely Heart" by Yes, produced by Trevor Horn,
who also produced:
07 – "Close (to the Edit)" by The Art Of Noise.
08 – "Perfect Way" by Scritti Politti.
09 – "Be Near Me" by ABC. What’s your reputation? Ecstacy.
10 – "Cruel Summer" by Bananarama, one of the plentiful Stock
Aiken Waterman tracks that was so prevalent in the 80s. They also produced:
11 – "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley. I believe they
called him the blue-eyed soulster.
12 – "Hanging on A String (Contemplating)" by Loose Ends.
13 – "Digging Your Scene" by Blow Monkeys. The background vocals
alone were infectious.
14 – "Things Will Only Get Better" by Howard Jones
15 – "Call Me" by Go West. One of my favorite duos.

Groove on. You know you want to.

22 Responses “OSW: euro groovin’, volume i”

1. 19 October 2004 at 23:49

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww sooky sooky now. Lis lets the ‘carlton’ dance take over her inner being. blam. she’s got high hair, with slivers hanging in her face. blam. she’s got on a big shirt with a fat belt. blam. she’s got on pumps and socks. blam. she’d got on plastic bangles… LOL That really took me back… I’m embarrased, but I will admit it. Good selections!!!!

2. 20 October 2004 at 00:24

OOOOH I am sooo feeling these somgs. I started grinning when I started reading who you graced us with. aha and Art of Noise!!!! my, my, my! Let me just list, the ones I love, by numbers….2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 14! Whew….I love those songs.

3. 20 October 2004 at 06:16

Great twist to OSW. I’m guessing Loose Ends is the all black group you’re referring to? I barely recognize the others. 😉

4. 20 October 2004 at 08:40

As usual, you are the man when it comes to arby’s. You need to start selling copies of these things. You’d make a killing. *lol* I’m not scared to admit that I was groovin’ to a lot of these songs back when.
    These songs remind me of some of the songs on the radio stations on Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

5. 20 October 2004 at 09:36

Nice. Very nice! I am going to skip around on these tunes. I will jam to #’s 2, 3, DEFINITELY 4 (multiple times), 6, 10 and 11. I was just singing “why ya ya ya ya” the other night when a Duran Duran Greatest Hits commercial aired. You got down again, EJ. ‘Preciate ya!

6. fredamae
    20 October 2004 at 09:44

How about Swing Out Sister?
    EJ Edit: Good call Freda. Next week, for sure.

7. 20 October 2004 at 10:44

EJ the DJ does it again! And you’re still asking me why I turned Old School Wednesdays over to you? MAN!
    I’m with Fredamae. Cuing up the 12′ version of “Twilight World” right now…

8. 20 October 2004 at 12:52

Ah, just what I needed to soundtrack my day. Thanks!
    One of these days I’m going to start radio.blogging, I promise.

9. 20 October 2004 at 15:47

like, OH MY GOD you went BAAACK, EJ!!!
    *screaming like a delerious teenage girl who just found out she got front row tickets to a new kids on the block concert, circa 1988*
    hehehehe..wow this SOOO made my day! :)

10. 20 October 2004 at 17:44

YAZ! (why did i have a hard time believing Alyson Moyet was a real woman?).
    “Reflex” my favorite Duran Duran jam next to “Girl’s On Film” (had a crush on the drummer).
    “One Thing Leads To Another” Another 80’s Brit fav! (as visions of rabid dobermans dance thru my head).
    And Loose Ends! Everybody loves them some Loose Ends! (What did that other guy do? Apparently he went to the Jeffery Daniels School of Useless Third Member of a Trio).

11. 20 October 2004 at 18:30

What? No Eurythmics!!!!
    EJ Edit: Next week, James, next week.

12. 20 October 2004 at 22:52

I’m feelin #3, #4 I love Duran Duran!,#11 that boy could blow, sounds black and one of my all time favorites! Looooooose Ends! I got them on heavy rotation in my car, you would think the album was just released lol

13. 21 October 2004 at 02:20

it’s like you delved into my CD collection!

14. 21 October 2004 at 14:31

oh GAWD i HEART duran duran and scritti politti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you took me back!

15. 21 October 2004 at 18:22

damn. you took me straight back to palms jr high. i’m so glad someone else knows that gwen stefani did not originate that talk talk song. it’s one of my all-time favorites you know. and scritti politti! wood beez was the jam, but perfect way was a good one too.
    “each time i gooooooooo to bed i, pray like aretha franklin”

16. 21 October 2004 at 20:44

Oh, this is just too good! At least 80% of the songs are in my favorites already … but then I am a major 80s fan. Jammin’ … truly jammin! :)

17. 22 October 2004 at 02:16

whew! cruel summer? you the man for that one. i bow to your 80’s greatness.

18. 22 October 2004 at 02:17

damn ej, why i always gotta get comment screened? it makes me feel dirty.

19. 22 October 2004 at 05:19

Girlwonder: Typekey, baby Typekey. It’s the hotness.

20. 22 October 2004 at 09:49

Oh wow, I haven’t heard these songs in forever…awesome collection!

21. 22 October 2004 at 13:04

take on me use-ta be my shit! thanks man for reminding me!

22. 23 October 2004 at 19:17