OSW: the IM session

We’ll have to interrupt Friday Melodies for this OSW (Old School Wednesday)
by request. This is how it went down:

ej: my Fridays one is a teaser.
kb: how so?
ej: …well, the old school Dynasty track is for a couple of people. remember
that one?
kb: gotta peep it
kb: oh yeah!
kb: old school
ej: yeahhhhhhh.
kb: I always thought of "And The Beat Goes On" when I heard this
ej: yeah me too. i had to get the cd, because "they" produced a track
on it.
kb: now u got me on this Dynasty vibe. Dang!
ej: it’s spreading like the plaaaague!
kb: Where’s a Whispers CD when I need it?
ej: i think you’ve got a theme for OSW, pal.
kb: do tell
ej: Whispers/Tavares/Bernard Wright/Dynasty/Oddysey……
kb: o..o..o..oooh
ej: 😉
kb: I may just have to give you the nod this week if you do that
ej: i was gonna throw you the ball and let you run with it, but if you wanna
collabo….
kb: nah nah nah. I want to see u pull this white rabbit out of yo hat. U go
boy. I’m just a guest star in this episode.

And that’s it went down. While he’s in the nation’s capital, I have to fill
in for him. Wanna hear it? Here it go…..

Old School Wednesday: The IM Session.

01 – "Who Do You Love" by Bernard Wright. I pulled this one
out because I used to have this album on cassette and played it so much I had
to purchase it two more times.

02 – "And the Beat Goes On" by The Whispers. The old school
Dynasty track from last Friday was recognized by a couple of people to be a
derivative of this song, so it had to be placed.

03 – "Just an Illusion" by Imagination. Haven’t heard from
them in a while. While watching 187,
this song was played in the closing credits.

04 – "Make That Move" by Shalamar. Leon
Sylvers
, producer extraordinaire, part I.

05 – "Does That Ring A Bell" by Dynasty. Leon Sylvers, part
II.

06 – "Jump to the Beat" by Stacy Lattisaw. This was one I
hadn’t heard in years. We’re talking at least a decade…

07 – "Do You Love What You Feel" by Rufus featuring Chaka
Khan. I can take most of the songs off the album Masterjam and place it in this
selection, but we’ll go with the top single this go’ round.

08 – "Inside Out [12" Version]" by Odyssey. One of my
favorite bassists, Mark
Adams
, provided his touch with this song.

09 – "Snap Shot" by Slave. Mark Adams, part II. The string
arrangements of this song were done by Mark himself, which is classic. From
Stellar
Fungk

10 – "Firecracker" by Mass
Production
. Everytime I’m sure everyone hears this, they think of a backdrop
from Full
Metal Jacket
. I always think of Me
So Horny
, much to my chagrin. This is where the backdrop for that rap came
from.

11 – "Peanut Butter" by Lenny White / Twennynine. Lenny White,
Marcus Miller, and the above-mentioned Bernard Wright did a lot of collaborating
(witness Jamaica
Boys
), so I had to throw this one up.

12 – "I Need a Freak" by Sexual Harrassment. Double entendre.

13 – "Rapper’s Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang.

14 – "I Didn’t Mean to Turn You On" by Cherrelle. Robert Palmer’s
version is the one that was more popular, so I had to go back in and pull this
one out. Didn’t get as much recognition as it should have. Mariah Carey also
remade this in the enormously successful, Emmy award winning *cough cough*
Glitter.

15 – "Jam on It" by Newcleus.

16 – "I Wonder If I Take You Home [Extended Version]" by
Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam with Full Force.

Enjoy. While you marinate on this, I’ll jump back to Brand Nubian, Deltronic,
and Zap Mama.

17 Responses “OSW: the IM session”

1. 22 September 2004 at 09:14

Old School Wednesday: A Burst of Flavor

Greetings, True Believers! I’m working my bootay off in The District this week. I’ll love to see the comp time that’s coming to us after this trip. Anyways in my absence my man EJ is holding me down on the…

2. 22 September 2004 at 11:24

Oh … I am lovin’ this. Brings back a lot of memories … you just don’t know. 😉

3. 22 September 2004 at 12:19

DJ EJ! You have hit the spot with me on this OSW! I’m loving and grooving to all these songs. I’m working and bouncing in my chair! This is great stuff! *BIG AZZ GRIN*

4. 22 September 2004 at 12:22

still mad at u for finding a dynasty track after i’ve been looking for about 5 or 6 years! *off to play with my vinyls*

5. 22 September 2004 at 13:36

get out of here with this old school hotness! PEANUT BUTTER?!?!?! I am fighting the urge to get up and get down (LOL – how old does that sound?) right here at my desk!!!! this is right on time EJ!
    Speaking of old school… Would you look at this:
    ALEXANDER O’NEAL
    HOLLYWOOD PARK CASINO
    3883 W. CENTURY BLVD.
    FRI SEP 24 2004 8:00PM
    LOLOLOL! I’m almost ret’ ta go!

6. 22 September 2004 at 15:24

EJ, this one is HOT! This has got to be one of my favorite radio blogs since I started visiting your place in space (just cut and paste this for next time cause I know how you do) LOL

7. 22 September 2004 at 15:26

as usual i love your radio blog. and you know that i love old school. i request that you make one that is all 80’s stuff! if you have any stacey lattisaw, some old new edition, more shalamar (this is for the lover in you–‘member that?), some midnight star…you know the old school shit! Hey who was the group that had that song “Object of my desire”?
    thanks for the grooves for work!
    peace

8. 22 September 2004 at 15:27

Got me thinking ’bout walkin’ to the sto for Now-or-Laters and strawberry Crushes in the glass bottles. Remember? Thanks for the wayback vibe. You set the standard. I’ma try to meet it Friday. 😉

9. 22 September 2004 at 16:05

nice old school jam you have imported to radio blog.

10. Bernard
    22 September 2004 at 16:26

I like this one… you’re still eclectic with all the other stuff… hahahahaha. Can you stick to OSW for a while?

11. Neena
    22 September 2004 at 21:10

Thanks EJ – I needed that today. You’re gonna have me diggin through the closet for the cassette tapes and 45’s.

12. 22 September 2004 at 21:37

Ej Ej Ej Ej… *smh* lawd you sent me there with this one. I used to wear Bernard Wright OUT! Do you hear me? *holding my heart* I can’t take it! You kilt me with this one!

13. 23 September 2004 at 10:49

Now that’s what I’m talking about! Thanks, EJ! I owe you for this one.

14. 23 September 2004 at 16:20

ooh dayam, ej!
    you really outdid yourself with this one..i likes! i likes!
    *singing i didnt mean to turn you on by cherelle in the columbia computer center* :)

15. 27 September 2004 at 13:05

WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! He said Bernard Wright as in “Who do you Love?” Stop it, just stop it.
    The bomb…as usual… =)))

16. 27 September 2004 at 13:11

Okay wait a gat-damn minute, I like to play your radio blogs without looking at the songs, so I get pleasantly surprised when they come on. But I “peeked” and saw “Inside Out” by Odyssey!!! OH HELL NO!!!! *singing* “I wanna beeeee, inside out…no doubt.” OMG!!! I have it on CD but I swear that I thought I was the only person in the world who remembered and loved that song!!!! WOOHOO I can’t wait to hear the rest!! Oh see, it would be over if I got a radioblog – I would be a menace, cuz this would be the type of stuff I would do all the time. Messing people’s heads up. You don’t know nothin’ ’bout “Inside Out!!!” LOL *dancing to And the Beat Goes On* I’m in heaven NOW!!! *bopping head while working*

17. 27 September 2004 at 13:29

Okay – so maybe I should just go on and read the list of songs so that I don’t have to write you a comment after every song begins to play. But I just thought you should know that “I Wonder if I Take You Home,” just came on and I’m ready to put on my black rubber “bracelets,” my silver name belt and iron the fat laces that match my Izod shirt, and put a crease in my Lees. You done took me STRAIGHT back to 1982. Wow.