Something happened this weekend I’d like to share.
A friend of mine found out that he had an affliction. (Let’s not call it just
"an affliction". From now on, I’ll refer to it as The Affliction).
As friends, associates, and even haters go, this is nothing new. However, what
is the most uncomfortable thing about this is that it’s been a while since I’ve
had to counsel and to just LISTEN to what someone has to say, what someone goes
through everyday, what emotions the person goes through hour by hour, day by
day. Even more striking is that this was someone that I had known for so long.
Often when speaking to people with The Affliction, they’re
concerned with one or more of the following issues:
1. Family members who need to be informed;
2. Friends and/or coworkers who should be informed;
3. Their current job status and potential impact The Affliction
4. The fear of meeting other partners for a relationship;
5. Depression or thoughts of suicide;
6. The impact of The Affliction in everyday life;
7. The medication needed for The Affliction;
8. The side effects of medicine for The Affliction;
9. Counselors and/or groups who can address worries and fears, one-on-one or
in a group setting.
I’d like to reach out my hand. If there are those that you know that may need
assistance, an ear to listen to, or contacts, please don’t hesitate to email
me. It’s often said that "the life you save might be your own," but
this time, let’s help the lives of others.