reaching out

Something happened this weekend I’d like to share.

A friend of mine found out that he had an affliction. (Let’s not call it just
"an affliction". From now on, I’ll refer to it as The Affliction).
As friends, associates, and even haters go, this is nothing new. However, what
is the most uncomfortable thing about this is that it’s been a while since I’ve
had to counsel and to just LISTEN to what someone has to say, what someone goes
through everyday, what emotions the person goes through hour by hour, day by
day. Even more striking is that this was someone that I had known for so long.

Often when speaking to people with The Affliction, they’re
concerned with one or more of the following issues:

1. Family members who need to be informed;
2. Friends and/or coworkers who should be informed;
3. Their current job status and potential impact The Affliction
could have;
4. The fear of meeting other partners for a relationship;
5. Depression or thoughts of suicide;
6. The impact of The Affliction in everyday life;
7. The medication needed for The Affliction;
8. The side effects of medicine for The Affliction;
9. Counselors and/or groups who can address worries and fears, one-on-one or
in a group setting.

I’d like to reach out my hand. If there are those that you know that may need
assistance, an ear to listen to, or contacts, please don’t hesitate to email
me. It’s often said that "the life you save might be your own," but
this time, let’s help the lives of others.

One love.

11 Responses “reaching out”

1. 6 June 2004 at 20:52

this is a wonderful offer you’re making. do exes fall under friends?

2. 7 June 2004 at 01:19

That is very admirable of you.

3. 7 June 2004 at 10:38

EJ…
    i think what is difficult as well as being the “counselor” when you don’t have The Affliction. Its completely difficult to ask that person who you are supposed to be counseling or supporting all the questions that you want to ask for fear that you are impeding on their lives or worse making them think about things they don’t want to think about.
    admittedly i still worry about that. i don’t want to ask about The Affliction for fear that i would be seen as an intruder.
    *hugs* it is great that you are reaching out. i was wondering if you could tell me, and others who may feel like i do, what should I do? what can I do if i should have to counsel someone too.
    peace

4. 7 June 2004 at 11:39

i love good people. and you sir, are the best of the best. keep inspiring others to greatness.

5. 7 June 2004 at 18:21

If I were to prioritize that list of concerns, I’d put 5-9 at the top.
    Maintaining a healthy mental outlook in the face of such startling news is the most important concern. People need to be armed with the facts, i.e. this is not an automatic death sentence and that with medication and/or a nutrition and health regimen, a long productive life can be achieved. Talking to others going through the same situation, joining support groups or seeking private counseling can also be helpful in dealing with feelings of worthlessness or guilt.
    Most of all people need to know they are not alone and that they can get through this.

6. raven
    7 June 2004 at 23:20

for serious, i like this in you, ej. good man.

7. 8 June 2004 at 15:43

EJ? Is that you?
    Impressive.

8. 9 June 2004 at 01:07

that’s admirable, ej…really. I dont know of anyone that would be willing to BE as helpful as you are…
    i dont think it will be easy to do, but i think if anyone is capable of being someone’s “rock”–which is basically what you are to the afflicted person–its’ you.
    Ryan

9. Derrick
    9 June 2004 at 13:38

EJ,
    I am new to your blog, and I want you to know you are an admirable person. Courage beyond expression. Keep doing good work. You have been added to my daily blog reading list. By the way, thank you for Sweetback & Aya’s “Lover.”

10. 9 June 2004 at 13:44

Great Post!! God will bless you for your kindness!

11. 13 June 2004 at 16:54